13 - "This is my girlfriend Alex."

Alex

Traffic in London is the worst as we try to make our way to Liam's flat on New Year's Eve. I'm glad we were able to grab a cab instead of the tube. Especially because it is freezing outside.

It's been awhile since I celebrated New Years. Last year I worked the night shift and although they officially no longer existed, I was busy with first aid the entire night and following day. Thomas had only been gone for two months and I was still struggling to overcome another heartbreak. Especially because our New Year's celebrations the year before was so special. We made promises for the future and watched the fireworks from up the mountains. It was magical and I don't think I'll ever have a New Year's Eve like that again.

Harry and I have celebrated Christmas and New Years before, but this last week has felt so official. Visiting my family and spending time in Brighton with his, and now New Year's visiting our friends. Although I feel like Liam is more my friend than Harry's.

"Are you looking forward to it?" I ask Harry who is busy scrolling through his phone.

"Sure," he answers a bit mindlessly.

"It would have been okay if you went to Pascal," I tell him again and he breathes deeply, clearly upset that I'm bringing this up after he told me multiple times that he doesn't want to.

"I'm starting to think you don't want to spend 12 o'clock together."

"That's not true. I just don't want to be the type of girlfriend who keeps you away from your friends."

He sighs, putting down his phone and wipes his hand to his jeans. "Pascal is that type, not you. And you are not welcome there so it's not even a question where I'm spending the night. It's with you."

His words warm my heart and give me hope that this night will be alright.

"Did you ever apologize to Liam?" I wonder and he nods.

"I called him. We're fine. It wasn't our first fight or our last. Doesn't mean I don't care for him. I like Nina too."

"Okay, good. Just checking," I say watching outside again. We're almost there and I start to get curious how the night will go.

I'll never forget Liam's face when he came to my flat in Palas with his phone broken by Harry. Then I thought it was hilarious how passive aggressive Harry was towards him. Nowadays I find it painful that he holds a grudge to Liam and easily shows it, but to me it only comes out rarely and is soon pushed to the back by kisses. I wonder how he'll act to Liam now. They used to be great friends and I hate for that to go to hell when we live in the same town again.

Harry insists on paying for the fare of the drive here and soon we find the warmth of Liam's flat. We walk the stairs and I wonder if Harry thinks back to the last time he was here. I was a mess then and I hope nothing will happen tonight that will cause me to the grab another wine bottle.

"Do you think I can drink one glass at midnight?" I ask Harry as we wait in front of the door. The music is already loud and I wonder if they can even hear our knocking.

"I don't know. I guess you know best."

"Or we share a glass? We need to toast to the New Year."

"We will," he says.

The door is opened by a girl I don't know. She looks the very opposite from me with thick dark hair, fake lashes and full on makeup that I could never achieve. "Hello," she says in a high pitched voice. "Come in. Who are you guys?"

"Harry and Alex," he answers. "Friends of Liam's."

"Oh great. You can keep your coat here." She points to a pile of coats and Harry and I look to each other for a moment before we take off our coats and put them on top. "I'm Logan's girlfriend. Have you met?"