55 - "Fight."

Harry

After a few more days spent in Manchester, I'm more than certain that one more day with my sister would mean the end of our relationship. How we survived as children is beyond me, but as adults we are better off with some space between each other. Luckily we both agree on that and there's no sadness when I tell her my plans. 

Those plans formed quick after a phone call to my old and first tattoo parlour I ever worked. Instead of letting the darkness win, and fly back to Palas to do God knows what, I decided that Alex was right. In time I'll feel normal again and I have to use my mother's fund to make that happen. It feels right to go back to my roots and build up from the ground in Brighton and then figure out what I want to do with the money.

"I'm going back to Brighton," I tell Liz as we sit on the couch watching Coronation Street. Usually she doesn't want to be bothered, but she makes an exception now. "Tomorrow."

"Tomorrow?" She says, picking up the remote to pause. "Why so quick all of the sudden?"

"Because today we managed to have a fight about the colour green versus blue for your wall. I think it is time to let this place be your own again."

Liz looks a bit sad, but then nods pushing play again. "Well, just know you are welcome to stay whenever."

"I know," I say, lying down a bit and leaning on her shoulders as I do. "And I will."

"Why Brighton?" She wonders after a moment. "You're not going back to dad are you?"

"No, of course not. I'm going back to my first job. One of their employees is on maternity leave so I can replace her and after that we'll see. I'm not sure where I want to start my own shop. Which city will be best."

"But you are going to do it?"

"Yes, eventually I will, but now I just want things to get stable again."

"Yeah, me too. I'm going to enjoy this summer and then in September I'll start school. How cool is that?"

"Very cool."

****

It is a long train journey from Manchester all the way to Brighton and that's why I take a break in London. Also because it might give me the opportunity to see Alex. After the funeral last week I haven't reached out to her once and told myself that I'd never see her again because that's what she asked. To let go. But today I feel I have a good excuses to call her. It is her father's anniversary. Five years ago we spent this day together. Waking up in the hospital to find Bob had died. With my own mother's passing so fresh in my memory, I also remember that day well. And I want Alex to know that I'm thinking of her so I call although I'm nervous that she won't even pick up.

"Alex," she says as she picks up.

"Hey, Harry here. Was just thinking of you," I tell her.

"How come?"

"Just, this day makes me think of you in general."

"Yeah," she says, "guess I have been thinking about you a lot this day as well. How have you been?"

"Better than I thought. I'm in London now, on my way to Brighton. Going to work at my old job for a while until I figure stuff out."

"Sounds like a good plan," she tells me. 

"Now, I had another plan, and you are more than allowed to say no, I won't hate you for it. But this day five years ago we were together, and I'm here now. If you're up for it, we could go for lunch?"