preliminary part 3

3rd person pov

As hinata was carried off, Neji watched his cousin who persisted in calling him "big brother" despite the fact that he had done everything to make it clear that he disliked her go. She had proven herself a loser as Fate had decreed her to be, but...

As he looked back on the fight, he remembered the moment that her eyes had changed, and how there had been steel in her spine if only for a little while. In that moment, she had seemed strong and fierce, and traces of that fierceness had remained in the moments afterward when she refused to quit even though it was obvious from the beginning that she had lost, and in the moment she rose despite the fact that she should have stayed down.

She had lost as Fate decreed she would however. People don't change. Once a loser, always a loser. There were no exceptions.

As soon as Neji walked away confident in his understanding of how the world worked, the ninth match was called, and it was Nara Shikamaru and Tsuchi Kin who would be fighting in this bout. Shikamaru wouldn't have bothered, except that it would be more troublesome for him if he backed out now since he had failed to back out when he'd been given the chance to do so. If he just stayed up here now, he'd be hearing about it from his peers, his teammates, his mother, and Asuma-sensei for years. Whether he won or lost, it would be better to just get it over and done with now so he wouldn't have to hear anything about it from anyone.

Kin proved to be an interesting if somewhat easy to read opponent. After determining the nature of her sound based Genjutsu attack, he swiftly caught her in his Kagemane and made her knock herself out by hitting her head against a nearby wall while dodging a flying shuriken.

Now that that was over and done with, he couldn't wait for the tenth battle to take place so he could get the hell out of here and maybe catch some cloud watching time before the team went out.

After the unconscious Kin had been cleared away, the tenth match was called, and it was Gaara against rock Lee. As lee made his way down to the arena, he wondered exactly how hard a time he would have of it. Kabuto had informed him of Gaara's status as the Jinchuriki of the One-tailed Tanuki Shukaku. This meant that in regards to power, his opponent was stronger than the average Jounin, and he would have to end this quickly.

Lee begins the fight by attacking with taijutsu, but his attacks are blocked by Gaara's Sand. To bypass the speed of Gaara's Shield of Sand, Might Guy allows Lee to remove his leg weights. In doing so, Lee's speed increases and he manages to land hits on Gaara, only to discover his body is coated in sand. Lee opens the first of the Eight Gates and launches Gaara into the air with several kicks. Catching Gaara with his bandages, Lee uses the Front Lotus on him, only to discover he used it on a Body Replacement Technique.

After the tenth bout had ended and those who passed had lined up before him, Gekko Hayate looked over the group of Genin who had made it to the Third Phase of the Exams. They were a strong bunch, and would most likely go far. Soon, the Hokage finished his speech to the young shinobi that were arrayed before him, and he went along the line with the box that contained the numbered slips of paper that would determine in which order the Genin would fight. Once he reached the end and the last number had been taken, the candidates called out their numbers.

"One." Hyuuga Neji called.

"Five." Aburame Shino called.

"Three." The grass genin who fought ino, Takibana Mavis called.

"Four." The Suna Genin Kankuro called.

"Two" Uzumaki Naruto called.

"Seven." The Suna Genin Temari called.

"Six." Nara Shikamaru called.

"Nine." Uchiha Sasuke called.

"Ten." The Suna Genin Gaara called.

"Eight." Kakashi called as he took the number for his daughter who was currently in hospital.

"The matches for the Third Phase of the Summer Chunin Exams will be:

Hyuuga Neji vs. Uzumaki Naruto,

Kankuro vs Aburame Shino,

Nara Shikamaru vs Temari,

Uchiha Sasuke vs. Gaara,

Shirayuki hatake vs takibana mavis

You guys gave a month to train make the most of it" hospital
nced after the last Genin had called out her number.

After the matches had been called, the Preliminaries had ended and everyone excluding Sasuke went home. Sasuke went with Kakashi to see Yuki in the hospital.

Yuki pov

I was sitting in the hospital bed looking out the window when I heard a knock at the door, I just ignored it. The door opened and two people entered, I didn't bother looking to see who it was I was to busy looking at the clouds and thinking about when I would watch clouds with my best friend shikamaru.

"Yuki how are you feeling" I heard one of the voices say. I recognized the voice to be the voice of mah sexy Duckbutt.

I turned my head and faced my father and boyfriend before telling them I'm fine.

"So sasuke, dad who won the preliminarys?" I asked curious of my (for now) comrades battle's

Sasuke answered with
" Hyuuga Neji battered hinata and also hurt her mentally
Aburame Shino beat Zaku easily by using his bugs to jam zakus sound holes.
Takibana Mavis won against ino as expected but she's weak like sakura weak
The Suna Genin Kankuro beat kabuto's team mate I forgot the guys name.
Uzumaki Naruto won against kiba.... By farting The Suna Genin Temari won against tenten with ease.
Nara Shikamaru won against the sound ninja kin, shikamaru is smarter then I predicted.
The Suna Genin Gaara won against Lee, Lee sustained terrible injurys and may never be a ninja again"

I nodded as a reply before dad said "Yuki for the finals you're fighting takibana Mavis, you have a month to train"