T H I R T Y - T W O

"You're going to be okay..." I whisper and gingerly rub my thumb on her soft hand.
I look down and sigh.

It hurts me to see her like this.

It hurts me so damn good...

"Knock knock..." Ethan chuckles as he walks in with two bags of chips. He hands me one and I put it on the table next to the hospital bed. He looks at me and furrow his brows.

"Aren't you hungry?" he asks with his mouth full. I softly shake my head.

"You gotta eat something Grayson... When was the last time you ate something?" he raises his voice a little bit and I roll my eyes.

"I don't know... Maybe two days ago?" I close my eyes and gently squeeze her hand in mine.

"Two fucking days ago? Grayson are you trying to starve yourself or something?!" Ethan stands up and looks angrily at me. I glare back at him.

"If you wanna yell and get all dramatic, get out." I clench my teeth and he sits back down, his stare not leaving mine. I turn back to Hailee. I see sweat bedding on her forehead. I furrow my brows and bring my face closer.

My eyes widen and I quickly press the button on the remote.

A few seconds later, a nurse comes in. She looks worriedly at me and I point out Hailee's forehead.

"Why is she sweating so much?" I ask a bit panicked and she takes a few seconds to inspect Hailee. She walks over to a drawer and takes out a thermometer. She walks back next to Hailee and puts the thermometer in her mouth. She waits a few seconds before pulling it out. She furrow her brows and bites the inside of her cheek.

"41.5 degrees. She has high fever..." she mumbles and stares at Hailee.

"What does that mean? What's going on?" Ethan stands up and so do I. We both stare intensely at the nurse. She gives us a worried look.

"Her body is fighting the antibiotics. I'm going to call Dr. Phil." she almost whispers and walks out of the room. I rub my eyes and rest my hands behind my head. Ethan sits back down and sighs.

"Dude if she fights the antibiotics like this, they may not even work anymore." he looks up at me and I tightly tug my hair while clenching my jaw.

"This is not fucking good..." I mumble and rub my face.

-----

"Hmm, 41.7 degrees... It's going up. Lucy, have you got the morphine?" the doctor asks as he turns off the flashlight he held above Hailee's eyes. The nurse walks around the bed and attaches a bag filled with transparent liquid on a metal supporter. She inserts a needle on the edge of the tube and plants it in Hailee's arm. Then she puts a piece of tape over it and cover Hailee's arm with the blanket.

I give her a sad smile before she exits the room with the doctor.

As soon as they leave, I let out a deep sigh and cup my face with my hands. I tiredly rub my eyes. I feel Ethan's hand sliding on my back and giving a few taps.

"She'll make it through, Gray. Don't worry." he comforts me and I softly nod.

-----

I walk down the last stair and walk through the parking lot. I see my car under a three to my right. I shake my head and keep walking.

"You need to get the fuck out of here Grayson, it's been three days since you ate something! You're going to die! Jesus, just take care of yourself and leave please!" Ethan's voice echoes in my head.

I sigh and close my eyes, swinging my head back and breathing the cold morning air.

I walk up to a coffee shop and stop by. I order a tall coffee and a bagel.