F O R T Y - S E V E N

100 votes? thanks guys ♡︎

I readjust the collar over my neck and sniffle once of twice, keeping my walk at a forward pace. I quickly glance behind me to see if anyone followed my tracks.

I walk up the last step on the endless set of stairs and squint my eyes to adjust them to the bright sun. I see him, resting his shoulder against a vent pipe. I sigh and walk towards him, a shiver rolling down my spine just like last time.

I finally come to a stop and put my hands in my pockets to keep them warm. He lifts his head and cracks a light smile when he sees me. He steps forward and I notice a stitched cut on his temple.

"Hailee."

"Father."

Silence settles over us for a moment.

He looks down and heaves a deep sigh. I roll my eyes and take another step forward.

"You got the stuff?" I mumble and look at him straight in the eyes. He nods softly and pulls out a bag filled with green herbs. I smirk.

"You got what I want in return?" a hint of hope reflects in his eyes and I furrow my brows.

I pull out the money and hand it to him. We trade the stuff and I turn around so my back faces him as soon as I got the weed in my hands. I walk away but his voice intercepts me.

"Don't be a stranger, Hailee Rose. Give your father a call when you can. I'm sure he's impatient to receive news from you."

I snap my head around in a heartbeat.

"Oh and that's probably why he slapped his daughter and never bothered to move a fucking finger when she ran away, I guess?" I raise my voice which makes him lower his head in shame.

"Everyone makes mistakes, Hail-"

"And the worst mistake I've ever committed was probably to keep in touch with you after what happened." tears start to sting my eyes but I swallow the sorrow and keep my head up.

" tears start to sting my eyes but I swallow the sorrow and keep my head up

No way I'm going to cry in front of this bastard.

I turn around and walk away, leaving him behind like I did so many times...

-----

I giggle and spin around as we keep running towards the carousel.

"Come on, turtle!" I shout and let go of his hand to run faster. I sit on one of the carousel horses and buckle up.

"You run too much..." Grayson hops on the carousel platform and bends over his knees to catch his breath. I burst out laughing.