T H I R T Y - S I X

Hailee's POV

"You are discharged." the lady at the front desk smiles at me and Candice screams of excitement behind me. I giggle.

I can't wait to live with her.

She pushes my wheelchair until we reach her car. Brand new car. A red Mini Cooper.

I slowly push my body upward and stand on my feet. I take a few shaky steps with the help of Candice and I finally make it to the car.
I jump in the passenger sear and Candice hops abord on the drivers seat.

She turns the engine on and gives me the biggest smile ever.

For some reason I sense a hint of sadness in her facial expression.

Her smile fades away and she clears her throat when she sees that I'm staring at her for a long time.

Something seems off... She's not as jovial as usual.

I shrug it off and we drive away from the hospital.

-----

Candice swings the front door open and inhales a deep breath. She smiles widely.

"Home sweet home!" she chuckles as she runs up the stairs with my suitcase. Both of her parents come up to me with a wide smile.

"Chiquita, it's so nice to meet you! Welcome back to New Jersey! My name is Katalina." her mom says in a strong latine accent and pulls me in a hug. We pull away before the father steps forward and kisses both of my cheeks.

"I'm Brandan, nice to meet you, Hailee." he smiles at me.

Irish name. He's probably from Ireland. His ginger hair proves my point.

I smile back at them and we talk for a few minutes.

"I'm gonna go see what Candice is doing, is that okay?" I lightly nod and smile at them.

"Of course chiquita! And take some rest!" she winks before walking off to the kitchen. I chuckle and walk up the stairs. I look through some bedrooms and bathrooms to find Candice. I freeze when I hear her arguing on the phone.

"What happened between us needs to stay a secret! You can't expose that to everyone, you're going to ruin everything!" she whisper-shouts and I press my ear on the door to hear her better.

"Grayson I don't give a shit if it breaks you, she doesn't know anything and it's better off that way!" she hangs up and lets out a deep sigh. I knock on the door and don't even wait until she answers before I already step in. I cross my arms and glare at her.

"Who was it?" I ask through a light smirk and I see her body tensing up.

"I-it was my ex boyfriend..." she mumbles as she runs a hand through her ginger hair and walks over to her nightstand to take her glasses.

"So Grayson is your ex-boyfriend as well?" I bite the inside of my cheek and stare blankly at the floor. She freezes.

"Uhh... no... Umm I was uhh... I was actually talking about another Grayson..." she nervously says and walks out the door.