Chappy 8

"The first game of the first year stage if finally over!" Midnight proclaimed as she stood on the podium. "Now, take a look at the results!"

The screen displayed all the positions of the top forty-two students.

"The top forty-two made it through to the next round. It's unfortunate, but you don't worry even if you didn't make it! We've prepared other chances for you to shine," the woman licked her lips provocatively. "The real competition begins next! The press cavalry'll be all over it! Give it your all!"

The contents on the screen started moving again. "Now then, here is the second game. I already know what it is, but what could it be? What could it be? I just said it, now here it is!"

The words 'Calvary Battle' appeared on the screen.

A question mark appeared in (Y/n)'s head and paid a glance at Izuku who stood beside her to see if he understood.

"Let me explain," Midnight began, catching the girl's attention. "The participants can form teams of two to four people as they wish. It's basically the same as a regular Calvary battle, but the one thing that's different is based on the results of the last game, each person has been assigned a point value."

The screen flashed to show each student with points according to their position in the last race.

"Yes, that's right! And the points assigned go up by five starting from the bottom. So forty-second place gets five points, and forty-first gets ten points! And the point value assigned to first place is...ten million!"

Terror overtook Izuku's face. "Ten-ten million?!"

You poor soul...The girl turned to him and felt a slight twinge of sympathy for him as everyone would be coming for him and his team.

Everyone else turned to him, their eyes glinting with malice and determination as they knew that taking the ten million meant standing at the top no matter what place one is in.

"That's right. It's survival of the fittest, with a chance for those at the bottom to overthrow the top! Those at the top will suffer more. You'll hear this many times as you attend U.A. This is what 'Plus Ultra' means!" she then pointed her whip at the green-haired boy. "Izuku Midoriya, who placed first in the qualifier, is worth ten million points!"

"Now then, I'll explain the rules of the Calvary Battle! The time limit is fifteen minutes. Each team is worth the total of its members' points, and the riders will wear a headband with that number on their foreheads. Teams will try to grab each other's headbands until the time runs out, and try to keep as many points as they can. Stolen headbands must be worn from the neck up. So the more you steal, the harder I'll be to manage them! And the most important thing is that even if your headband gets stolen, or your team falls, you're not out!"

"Hhmmm, there'll be more so ten to twelve teams since we're forty-two, right?" (Y/n) asked Izuku, who absent-mindedly nodded in response, still-shocked eyes staring at nothing in particular.

The girl arched an eyebrow and turned back to Midnight.

"During the game, It'll be a cruel fight where you can you use your Quirks. But it still a cavalry battle. You'll get a red card for attacks that are trying to make people fall on purpose! You'll be removed immediately! Now, you have fifteen minutes to build your teams. Start!"

(Y/n) looked around at her surroundings, her eyes instinctively landing on Shouto's, who was also looking back at her. She shot him a small smile which he immediately returned. It was a silent language which both understood, telling each other that even though they couldn't team up together, they should both take care.