Chappy 54

(Y/n) let out a yawn, one hand trying to untangle the knots in her unruly hair as she walked downstairs. She had slept since the previous day to the morning after, only waking up in the middle of the night to get a snack. The girl counted that as one of the best sleep she's had in a while, energizing her fully for the next day.

On waking up, she felt a tad bit disappointed to find Katsuki gone but she couldn't dwell on that forever. He had other obligations to attend to anyway.

As the girl approached the kitchen, she mentally prayed her aunt wasn't in there. She wasn’t in the mood to deal with anyone that early in the morning. Her prayers were crushed however when she entered the kitchen and saw the woman sitting on the counter chair, busying herself on her phone.

Shit, this must be bad luck. The girl groaned inwardly, choosing to ignore her aunt and head straight for the fridge.

When her aunt noticed her presence, she looked up from her phone to the girl, concern writing on her face.

"Morning sweetie," she greeted in a soft voice as she placed her phone on the counter.

"Hey," (Y/n) mumbled without looking at her, opening the fridge to take out a milk carton and placing it on the counter next to the fridge before taking out a small bowl from the dish rack.

Nanami frowned at her stand-offish answer and narrowed her eyes at the girl who was pouring cereals into a bowl, her back turned towards the woman. Ever since the previous morning, she noticed that (Y/n) had been looking glum, avoiding her and her questions at all costs. She even missed breakfast the previous morning, choosing to go straight to school instead. And when Nanami got home, she was surprised to find the front door unlocked and was even more surprised to find (Y/n) fast asleep in her bed. Another odd thing was the bottle of sleeping pills she found on the girl's bedside table. Her first thought was that she was abusing the pills but she brushed the thoughts as irrational, choosing to question her the next morning.

But as she observed (Y/n) at the moment, she sensed that getting answers would not be easy.

"So dear, you didn't tell me that you were going to skip school yesterday," Nanami began, treading carefully in case (Y/n) woke up with mood swings.

The girl sighed wearily and placed the milk carton down after pouring some into her cereal. "I forgot."

Nanami's eyebrows furrowed, not satisfied with her half-assed answer. "I need a more defined answer than that (Y/n). And will you look at me?"

The girl let out a long, drawn out sigh while rolling her eyes before she took her bowl and hesitantly turned around, leaning her back on the counter. Her irritated eyes met the stern ones of Nanami and she shrugged in a silent 'what do you want?'.

The woman sat up straight in her seat and pursed her lips. "What's going on with you, huh?"

"Nothing," (Y/n) shook her head and lowered her gaze to her bowl, taking her spoon and digging it into the cereal.

"That doesn't look like nothing to me, (Y/n). You avoid me the whole of yesterday, you skip school, use sleeping pills, mood swings...Is this one of those phases you teenagers go through?"

"This is not a phase. I'm fine," (Y/n) deadpanned before shoving another cereal-filled spoon in her mouth.

Nanami eyed her as though her bullshit meter was ticking in the red zone and she inhaled impatiently. (Y/n) held her gaze, her face void of emotions as she chewed on her cereal.

"You're not fine," the woman broke the silence, briefly pointing at the girl.

“Your point…” (Y/n) scoffed and shook her head, her eyes looking away from Nanami and falling elsewhere. In truth, she didn't want her aunt to figure out what was wrong with her. She didn't want her sympathy stares and advises about finding other fishes in the big blue sea. But even though she didn't want that, Nanami knew her well than any other person and she'd find out sooner or later.