dating? / lams

"are you two dating?" a girl who alex remembers as peggy asks in the fifth english lesson of term one.

the two boys are practically sitting on top of each other, with john's head leant on his shoulder.

"no." alex shrugs as droops a little as john shuffles away. his leg is left cold.

***

"are you two dating?" asks a boy with an impressive afro, and john's stomach twists at his sneer.

"no." john says simply and feels alex squeeze his hand. he doesn't look down.

***

"are you two dating?" eliza, peggy's sister, asks at lunch -- five weeks into term one.

alex and john exchange amused glances and say in union: "no."

***

"vous sortez ensemble?" alex's adoptive brother, lafayette, asks, in the half term when john is round.

"non." alex replies and grins at john, but his eyes linger at his lips.

***

"are you two dating?" martha washington, alex's adoptive mother, smiles at tea afterwards.

"no." john laughs and leans closer towards alex, loving his warmth.

***

"wanna date?" alex asks john in term three, casually licking tomato ketchup off his fingers.

"yep." john replies just as simply and nicks one of alex's chips.

***

"are you two dating, yet?" peggy sighs just two weeks later, glancing at the two boy's figures that were so close together it would be no surprise if they were joined at the hip.

alex and john look at each other and smile. "no." they say.

***

"are you two dating, yet?" martha asks the next time john's round.

"no." alex says plainly, but sneaks a glance at john.

***

"you two have to be dating!" peggy cries as the two kissed in front of her.

"nah."

***

"we're dating." they announce a month later; peggy gasping in betrayal.

"knew it." peggy growls. "for how long?"

"two months." john giggles and melts into alex's arms.

this is terrible sorry but this is just what i wrote in my head in r.e bcs me n my friend were sitting so close together and i wondered what i would say if someone asked if we were dating