a lost love / lams/hamliza??

a hesitant knock.

a cautious creek as the door swung open.

"alexander, there's a letter for you."

eliza gazed her husband, who hadn't looked up from his writing.

"it's from john laurens, i'll read it later." a smile played on his lips as he said it.

"no. it's from his father."

the faint scratching of quill on parchment ceased.

"his father?" alexander repeated, voice low and hollow. "will you read it?"

eliza licked her lips anxiously, but unfolded the paper and watched her deadly still husband suck in a breath.

"on tuesday the twenty-seventh, my son was killed in a gunfight against british troops retreating from south carolina. the war was already over. as you know, john dreamed of emancipating and recruiting three-thousand men for the first all-black military regiment..."

eliza paused, eyes flickering to alexander who was staring at his parchment, not moving a muscle.

"his dream of freedom for these men dies with him."

alexander glanced up at his wife, who was staring back, frowning with concern. he took off his glasses and wiped his eyes.

"alexander. are you alright?" elizabeth asked, placing a gentle hand on his shoulder.

alex stood up abruptly, not meeting his wife's gaze.

"i have so much work to do."

hoo boy i wrote this literally ages ago?? it's bad sorry but?? also i'm still incredibly salty about john's death like the british army can fight me i'll deck them all

where's my mind / poetry, oneshots etc.рдЬрд╣рд╛рдБ рдХрд╣рд╛рдирд┐рдпрд╛рдБ рд░рд╣рддреА рд╣реИрдВред рдЕрднреА рдЦреЛрдЬреЗрдВ