coconut lip balm / kleinphy

jared stops as connor does. evan, zoe and alana wondered off to the lake, but the two boys just stand there.

to jared, what connor is staring at is nothing special. just a tall tree, as far as he's concerned. but connor is trapped in a memory of his first ever date; the one where evan told him about that exact tree and how he really broke his arm.

"whatcha looking at, murphy?" jared elbows him.

connor snaps out of his trace and lazily eyes the shorter boy next to him. "hm? oh, nothing. just... thinking about evan. we had our first date here."

"yeah, how are things with you two?"

evan and connor broke up just over a month ago, but still remained awkward friends, as neither of them wanted to ruin their friendship group.

"i'm kind of glad we broke up, really," murphy scoffs. "i mean, the relationship was quite toxic, anyway. i think- i think we thought that if someone loved us we would be happier and we would... fix each other.

"it didn't work. we got worse, if anything. we tiptoed around each other, i guess. only loved the things that we liked. evan always freaked out during my panic attacks. i never understood why he was always so anxious about everything." connor sighs, turning to jared. "why'd you ask, kleinman?"

jared's gaze flickers to the grass. "just wondering what was so interesting about a tree." he mutters.

"yeah, well." connor stops and smirks. "what about you? got your eyes on anyone?" he teases, knowing his friend's constant proclamations that love is gross and that he'll become a hermit and die alone.

"a-actually, yeah." jared smirks, glaring up at connor. "yeah, i do."

"really?" the sides of connor's mouth twitches.

"yeah."

the two boys find their foreheads only centimetres apart; so close jared can smell connor's signature coconut lip balm.

"is he cute?" connor breathes.

jared's fingers brush against murphy's hands. "he is."

"can i ask who this boy may be?"

jared laughs. "you can, but i think you already know."

"do i? how about you confirm it?"

connor grasps jared's hand as the shorter boy's lips connect with his own. they pull apart after only a few seconds, and they stare at each other, unable to speak.

their fingers remain locked together. jared likes the feeling of connor's chipped nail varnish against hand.

connor glances at jared and smiles. evan never understood connor.

maybe jared could.

this chapter is dedicated to the insanely cool -breakingapart- bcs i adore all her writing go give her some love

somehow i'm lowkey shipping kleinphy now i know this was tERRIBLE and the ending was horrible but i tried sorry izzy

stay safe
-jem