🎄Tokoyami x Reader: Mistletoe (And A/N)

Authors note: First off, an ANNOUNCEMENT! The winners of the Amajiki Week Contest are XLee13X and Pinkithai! I couldn't choose because they were so different but still so delightful. So an art and a oneshot for both of you!

Thank you so much to everyone else who participated! It was so hard to choose and there wasn't a single bad egg in the bunch. I hope everyone had fun expressing themselves and I loved reading you all's work! 

Now on to the oneshot.

Tokoyami x Reader: Mistletoe (For sia101eyes)

Description: Tokoyami just wants to be like everyone else for a change.

"How troublesome..." Fumikage mumbled to himself upon seeing the mad banquet of darkness before him. The entire school was plastered with tacky decorations, twinkling lights disturbing the learning-focused ambiance of the hallway and classrooms. Mistletoe hung stealthily in every doorway waiting to ambush poor unsuspecting victims with their menacing devices.

...He wished he could be one of those unsuspecting victims...

"All these lights aren't bothering Dark Shadow, are they?" You startled Tokoyami from his brooding focus.

"No." He looked up at you. "But I appreciate your concern." You gave him a warm smile, piercing the dusk of his heart.

The way Tokoyami spoke to you was so proper, so gentlemanly. He had the meditating aura of the quintessential bad boy, yet his core was guileless and pure. It was as if he somehow contained all of that delicious enrapturing mystery without any of the foreboding danger tied to it. As of late, this boy had been capturing your attention more and more. You admired the way his feathers ruffled when he was embarrassed, the way Dark Shadow would smile when Fumikage would maintain a stern poker face. But what really had you fascinated one day was how he bit into an apple. You had always assumed he pecked at food like a bird, but to your immediate shock, he bit down on the thing with human teeth! This had you baffled, and curious thoughts began to get the better of you. 'So he has a human mouth under there... I wonder if his beak is warm or cold... I wonder... what it would be like to kiss him...'

That had been when it all started. You could trace your crush back to that day.

"Are you sure?" You could sense the tension radiating off the boy and assumed he was lying about the flickering Christmas lights. "I can turn them off if you want. I'm sure everybody would understand."

"You're so very kind, but-"

A gargle of playful jeers and laughter drew your attention towards the door. Kirishima and Mina had apparently bumped into each other on the way into the classroom, now a subject of everyone's interest since they were standing beneath the mistletoe. Both of them smiled- luckily they were both good sports- and Kirishima rubbed the back of his neck bashfully.

"You have to kiss now!" Kaminari egged them on, which was followed by several pressuring whoops and hollers.

"I mean... if that's alright with you..." The red-headed (and red-cheeked) boy agreed. Mina just shrugged and smiled, happy to play along with the spirit of the season. She stood on her tiptoes and gave him the tiniest peck on the lips. Several cheers and 'aw's followed as they shuffled awkwardly back to their seats. This happenstance provided a perfect glowing opportunity in your eyes.

'I have to find a way to get Tokoyami under the mistletoe...'

'I have to avoid that mistletoe at all costs...' Fumikage resolved. It was not that he begrudged the concept of kissing. Not at all. But his aversion stemmed from a deep-rooted anxiety about his beak. He wished he could kiss normally, have soft plush lips like everyone else. He definitely envied his peers in that regard. Why did he have to be built like this? Who would ever want to kiss him?

You saw the rigid discomfort in his posture as he witnessed this occur. It was rather disheartening, as you assumed he had no interest in such practices. Perhaps you would give it a try later anyways...

Once class began, you continued to watch him with genuine adoration. His concentrating face was so unassuming, so cute. You smirked to yourself, wondering if this amount of study was enough to qualify you as somewhat of an ornithologist.

-----------------

Lunch had rolled around and along the way you saw the perfect opportunity to "accidentally" catch the avian boy beneath the love-igniting vegetation. A pristine archway near the library seemed like the ideal spot. It was rather secluded and quiet, surrounded by gold and silver tinsel.

"Hey." You gently brushed Tokoyami's fingertips with your own. He appeared surprised by your action but didn't pull away. He was much too polite for that. "I forgot something in the library. Want to walk up there with me?"

"Of course." He swiftly packed his things. He couldn't turn down a chance to escort such a lovely lady. Up the stairs you traveled side by side, discussing classes and literature... Tokoyami wasn't one who enjoyed small talk much... He found it unproductive and mundane. Before you discovered this fact about him, you thought that he just plumb hated you. But once you happened upon a topic of his liking, he was very stimulating to converse with.

It was hard to think straight as you got nearer and nearer to the library. Your palms were sweating terribly, enough so that you dropped your binder, where it slid right under the archway. The ironic thing is: that had been your plan all along. However, you had gotten nervous enough to the point where dropping your book was an actual accident rather than a staged one. He reached to pick it up at the same time as you.

"N-no, I got it." You said, peering into his eyes. You looked above your head. "Look. We're under the mistletoe." You pointed and half-smiled, pretending like you had casually noticed it. He furrowed his brows.

"What mischievous greenery..." He replied, which made you chuckle.

"I... guess we oughtta-"

"Nobody is around." He averted your gaze. "So that means we don't have to." That reply struck like an arrow right through your heart.

"Oh... Do you not... want to?" You frowned, unable to hide the hurt on your features.

"I'll kiss her!" Dark Shadow revealed his inner feelings, causing him to blush from embarrassment.

"Nobody wants to kiss a beak!" He asserted harshly, making the docile creature cringe.

"What makes you say that?" You asked honestly, taking a step closer to him.

"Because it's the truth." There was a silence.

"...Well... what if it isn't?"

"Pardon?" His wide eyes met yours and you closed the final distance between you. You had to tilt your head a little more than you imagined kissing someone else would require, but it wasn't at all uncomfortable. You held him close, fingers caressing the soft feathers of his face.

The texture of his beak was not sharp, nor was it brittle. It had the soft texture of skin while still being firm, immovable. It was inexplicable, but somehow the sensation made you feel safe (and his strong arms wrapping around you now just heightened that feeling). It was unique and exciting while still remaining sweet. Finally, you pulled away and he looked at you warily.

"How... was it?" His brooding aura was painted with innocence, making you smile.

"It will take some getting used to." You said optimistically.

"Does that mean..." His blush deepened.

"Yes, Fumikage." You took his hands in your own. "It means I liked it." One of his rare smiles bloomed on his face. Dark Shadow piped up, interrupting the moment.

"Do I get a turn?!"