Chapter 1

A young man stood outside a tall hospital building, his heart pounding. His tri-colored hair blew in the passing wind as if nature tried to reassure him of his future job. He sighed, calming himself and settling down.

He didn't even know if he was ready for this. He began to dread that he had missed something in his studies that would have been vital in his entrance examination. At least this exam was about your studies...but it was always the most nerve wreaking of all the oral exams before you actually started your career.

He had been practicing his answers for days upon days. He wondered what the best way to answer would be and it wasn't until last night that he had decided that he was actually prepared.

He had taken 4 years of study in medical procedures in college.

Then the extra course of 4 years in medical school.

He had passed both with flying colors and all his colleagues from different studies believed him to get a really good job.

And then he graduated.

The day right after, he found a letter that arrived at his apartment complex. It was addressed to him and looked to be a very formal addressed one, too. It had come from Mercy Lake's Hospital in his city. It might have been local, but it was so highly rated. Only the best doctors were selected to be accepted into the work.

Since then, he had been almost paranoid over the entrance oral examination. It was supposed to be easy. It was supposed to be about yourself. But what if he had said the wrong thing at the wrong time? Would he still be accepted as an apprentice??

The questions flooded his mind like a sea.

"Okay, Yugi..." The man ran his fingers nervously through his hair, "You got this. You made it this far, and the rest should be easy..."

And then, with one final glance behind him, he walked through the double doors and into the hospital building.

He walked down the hall, passing other doctors in long white coats or single colored clothing. Some were looking down at clipboards, some were rolling patients in the way for OR's or other rooms. The beeping of a monitor could be heard every now and then, coming from an open door. His eyes landed on a large desk with several nurses sitting and writing, some on the phone with other doctors, and some filing paper work on computers about patients.

He walked up to the surface, in front of a young nurse on the phone.

She had her finger on her temple and she sat, speaking on a phone with another doctor, as Yugi assumed. She was slender with very tan skin and dark green-blue eyes. Her hair was brown and jutted down in every direction. She spoke into the phone, seriously and confidently.

A way that Yugi wished he felt.

"Yes. He has suffered stage 4 Head trauma." She nodded to the phone, looking up at him. She held up a finger and turned, still speaking, "He has OR 74-93 reserved for his surgery with Dr. Melissa at 7:30 tonight."

Yugi let out a breath, turning back and leaning on the desk. He looked around, looking at every thing that surrounded him. He saw doctors pass, some making eye contact and giving him friendly waves. Some just looked and passed. Some didn't even look at all.

"Yes. Okay." The nurse began to draw her conversation to a close, "Dr. Mahad, I have to go. I'll see you at break. Alright? Alright."

She set the phone down, Yugi not noticing that she was ready for him.

"Hello?" She tapped him on the shoulder, making him jump.

"Huh? Oh." Yugi turned and faced her, "Sorry."

"Don't be." The nurse shook her head, "It's all good. My name is Mana." She stood and turned, grabbing a clipboard with papers, "What's your name?"

"Yugi." Yugi replied to her question, "Yugi Muto."

"Yugi Muto, huh?" Mana looked down at the clipboard for a second, "You must be the newest recruit from collage, huh?"

Yugi nodded.

"Well, you are going to be having the oral examination in Dr. Yami Sennen's office." Mana looked back up at him with a smile, "One of my favorite doctors. And if all goes well, you might just receive apprenticeship from him!"

She smiled, still walking down the hall way in the direction of the elevator. Yugi slightly smiled. The way this lady was speaking about him made him seem really nice!

"Really?" He looked at Mana, "Great then!"

Mana looked ahead and stopped at the end of the hallway, pressing a button to the elevator. Almost instantly afterwards, a door opened with a ding and the two of them entered the small room.

"So, where did you study?" Mana asked, trying to start a short conversation between them while the elevator doors closed and the music played.

"Domino Academy of Surgical Procedures." Yugi replied.

"Oh! Surgeon, huh?" She looked at the numbers slowly increasing on the scale, "That's a pretty big job, you know!"

Yugi nodded, the door opening and he and the nurse stepping out.

"Yeah. I know." He agreed, "My friends from college always thought it was a lot of work, but I know I'm ready for that job!"

Mana looked at him, walking down the hall.

"Well, you sound pretty confident!" She smiled, "You are the kind of doctor this hospital needs!"

Yugi raised an eyebrow.

"Aren't there enough?" He asked, tilting his head.

"Well, we have good doctors here. That's what makes this place 5 star rated. However..." She turned a corner, Yugi keeping up with her, "The doctors don't sugar coat it. They say it how it is. Which is sometimes really hard for the patients. You, on the other hand, -- and Yami too -- sugar coat things. You seem to be one to be there for your patients no matter what. Like a...brother!"

Yugi faintly blushed, bashfully.

"Thanks..." He smiled.

Mana then stops behind a door with a gold plaque in the surface saying: "Dr. Yami Sennen MD, PHD" Yugi read it, suddenly nervous as all heck. Mana turned to him and smiled reassuringly.

"It won't be as bad as you think." She put a hand on his shoulder, "Now. You ready?"

Yugi wanted to shake his head. He wanted to turn around and go back home to relax and do this another time. But his body did the exact opposite. He found himself nodding slowly. And then going through the office door, seeing the back of a chair behind a large desk and hearing someone typing on the computer.

Mana put him down on the chair and walked over to the person in the chair, concealed by the back.

"Dr. Yami..." Her voice trailed off as she mumbled a conversation with the doctor.

Every now and again, she would look back at Yugi, still talking with him. Yugi tensed in his chair. He had no idea what this guy was gonna be like. He had no idea what this interview was gonna be like!

"Well then, Mr. Moto." Mana stood straight and walked back, "He will begin shortly."

Yugi watched as she stepped out of the room, the sound of the door shutting cut her heels off and he was left in the room. The sound of typing could be heard in the silence until it finally stopped.

The man in the chair spun around, showing himself to Yugi. He had crimson red eyes and looked just like him, only for a more muscular formed face and more serious eyes. He folded his hands and...

Smiled.

"Hello, Mr. Moto." He greeted Yugi, "May we begin?"