Chapter 26

3 weeks passed since Yami's incident and Yami had to stay in ICU under constant super vision because of his fine line between critical and stable health. The line gradually got better, but Yami still had quite a ways to go before leaving.

Yugi still worked, though. As time went on, his work hours grew and grew, but they would allow him to visit Yami after visiting hours, when he was able to. And he visited every day.

Today wasn't much different. Yugi went to work at 7, his work curfew now earlier than before and his work day not ending until 12 hours later. Slightly panting from his busy day, he went into the lounge for a little snack.

"I remember being in my residency." Yugi heard Mahad say when he walked in after Yugi, "It was just as tough!"

Yugi looked back from the microwave, heating up a small part of piece of lasagna for his snack. He grinned and locked eyes with him. He had almost forgotten that it was Mahad's night.

"Really?" He laughed slightly.

"Hell yeah!" Mahad laughed, nodding, "I don't know if you realize this, but you have it easy in residency!"

Yugi tilted his head questioningly. Mahad sat at the table in the middle of the room and took a bite out of a finger food sandwich. He grinned with a playful nature and looked at him.

"There is a reason it is called residency." He said with a slight chuckle, "You go in and you don't really come back out until a week later. You work 18 hour days, and half the time, your monitoring patients. You had it easy! The first couple of months here, you came in for about 5 to 7 hours a day. I actually started drinking coffee when I started out here."

Yugi's eyes widened "wow..." He said, now realizing that he really was lucky. Yami was going easy on him this whole time.

Mahad, from where he sat, pointed at the fridge.

"Get another piece of that lasagna if your going to see Yami next." He directed Yugi.

Yugi raised an eyebrow playfully and looked back at him, a smile forming on his face.

"Ya know, if you want one you can come get it for yourself!" He said teasingly, "I mean, you're a big man now!"

Mahad laughed.

"Not for me, for Yami!" He said, shaking his head playfully back, "Lasagna is his favorite food!"

"Oh." Yugi looked back, walking over for a second piece, "Well I stand corrected!"

Mahad chuckled, taking another finger food sandwich from the platter in the middle of the table. He looked at his watch and stood once he realized the time. He looked up and locked eyes with Yugi.

"Hey. Well, it's getting late and I gotta go...It's my night tonight. I wonder what kind of crazy injuries I'm gonna face this time." He turned for the door, "Last time, I had a patient named Kuromi Knight, and she had a concussion and a broken arm from a biking accident. Let's just say...she almost get out remembering nothing before we stepped in."

Yugi winced and brought his hand to his head. He heard the door open, followed by a final goodbye from Mahad. He waved as the door shut and he got the second plate of lasagna. Yami was in for a treat.

-------

Yugi knocked on the door of his room, waiting for a reply. However, he didn't get one. It was silent on the inside. Yugi opened the door slowly and peeked inside. Yami was fast asleep in his bed.

He stepped in, looking through the drawn curtains that blocked the moonlight from going into the room. He looked back at Yami, realizing it was really early for him to fall asleep.

Yugi sat down, putting the plate of lasagna on the bedside and waiting for Yami to wake up. Yami suddenly flinched and he tightened his grip on his pillow. His nails dug into the plush as his eyes squinted.

"Y-Yami?" Yugi's eyes widened.

Yami's eyes suddenly burst open, panting rapidly. His head popped off his pillow and he glanced around the room. He looked panicked and scared. Yugi gripped his hand.

"Hey. Hey. Hey." Yugi said, "It was just a dream. It's all okay. It isn't real."

Yami's breathing slowed back down as he tried to calm himself. He looked at Yugi with a slight smile, a apologetic and sad look in his eyes.

"Sorry." He said, "I was...having a nightmare..."

Yugi gripped his hand tightly, intertwining his fingers with Yami's.

"It's alright. It's all over." Yugi reassured him, "Now, I have a little something for you!"

Yami sniffed, the smell of the lasagna greeting him. His eyes widened and he perked up.

"Lasagna??" He grinned.

Yugi nodded and motioned to the plate on the bedside table. Yami licked his lips and grabbed the plate, eating bites of the piece he was given. Yugi giggled at his eagerness to eat the lasagna.

Yami looked at him, a little sauce on the corner of his mouth. Licking it, he shrugged.

"Whaat?" He chuckled, "It's been forever since I had this! Thank you!"

He set the plate and gripped Yugi in a tight hug and kissed his head. Yugi went red and looked up at the slightly red Yami that held him close, a grin on his face.

Yugi kissed him on the cheek, Yami going Crimson.

"Your welcome."