Chapter 14

Yugi and Yami stayed like that for a while until Yami's tears finally dried up. Yami's sudden breakdown caught Yugi by surprise. He had never expected for Yami to be so troubled.

He hid it so well...

It was as if there was nothing wrong whatsoever.

They sat on a bench and Yugi silently handed Yami a tissue, Yami wiping his eyes and sniffling.

"Y-You okay?" Yugi asked him, not wanting to bring it up again, and handing him a second tissue.

Yami nodded slowly, wiping his tears and sniffling, his sobs stopping.

"Y-Yeah...sorry. I just..." He sniffed, wiping his eyes again, "I just got caught up in...my personal past..."

He looked at Yugi, slightly smiling, but with a sad look in his eyes and he sighed, pulling Yugi back into a second hug.

"At least I know..." He sighed, "That you will always be there for me..."

Yugi hugged him back sincerely and slowly nodded to him.

"Yes. I will." Yugi agreed, "I will always be someone you can come to. I will always be by your side."

Yami sighed once more, his mouth forming a slight grin and he looked at Yugi.

"Now that I've calmed down, how about we continue with our day?" He asked Yugi, "I was thinking you could help me with another surgery?"

Yugi slightly jumped up, nodding excitedly. It was a week since his last surgery he hd actually helped in. Since then, he had just watched from outside at the window.

And now, he could do it again!

He didn't know why exactly he enjoyed doing it...but he did either way. He guessed it was because of knowing that the patient trusted you and that you had the power to put the patient in a better state than he or she was in currently.

"Sure!" Yugi replied, grinning and causing Yami to grin wider, "What's the case this time?"

"Well, I'm not too sure myself, but I was thinking that I could actually start letting you actually work!" Yami stood, meeting his side.

Yugi almost jumped again, happily. Yami noticed his excitement and chuckled, lightly patting his back.

They both made their ways down the hall to the Operation Room where they got ready.

Yugi put on his gloves and mask, also slipping on his suit. Yami helped his apprentice and Yugi helped him in return until the patient had arrived in an extremely terrible state.

He had shoulder length brown hair and light golden brown skin. His arms were bloody and cut up and the chest had several holes where he was treated before he arrived.

The doctors that rolled him in stopped and one turned while the others retrieved the tools needed for the surgery. Yami took a small tube and turned to the nurse.

"Okay, Nurses and Doctors!" The nurse that stopped told them, "This is Mr. Tony Cridd! He fell off a two story building after an attempted suicide. We have treated his wounds on his arms and tried to regulate his oxygen. But he went unconscious after the fall, so we aren't too sure if he has any internal bleeding."

Yami nodded to the nurse and looked to Yugi.

"We need to be sure his lungs aren't punctured." He said, "Hold this hole open so that I can filter the oxygen intake of this guy."

Yugi nodded back, turning and holding the hole open as he was instructed. Yami slid the tube deep inside the side of the patient's chest and he looked sincerely at the tube, slowly going further and further until he stopped.

"His breathing is light and hollow...that signals several broken ribs." Yami muttered to himself and then repeated again to the doctors around him.

Mahad, standing beside Mana and across from Yami and Yugi, lightly felt the boy's forehead, and his eyes widened.

"His skull has been cracked. He needs a cast." He said to the nurses.

"But wait!" Yugi called, "He could have brain damage! If the skull is damaged, the brain could also be damaged too!"

Mana looked at Yugi, a little stunned by his statement that only a third year apprentice would know. But she then went to Cridd's mouth and slid a tube into his mouth, sucking much blood from inside.

"He's right." She turned to Mahad, "He's got a brain bleed."

Yami looked up at Yugi and slightly grinned, still filtering the air in the lungs. Yugi and he exchanged glances before continuing once more.

"I need some numbing meds over here!" Yami said to the others, "These ribs aren't going to heal themselves without a painful recovery!"

"Coming!" Mai walked over and handed him some lotions, "Here."

Yami took it and rubbed the substance on the chest that he was about to cut into, taking feeling away from that area.

He turned to the other doctors and cut down the middle, the others waiting for their cue to begin working on repairing the lungs.

Yugi watched as they worked, handing tools to any doctor who needed them and assisting whoever needed the assistance.

Yami and he exchanged glances once more, Yami still focused on his job, but still a little soft when it came to Yugi.

Even in Surgery.