Chapter 23

Yami stared into the face of the killer, his eyes wide with fear and his mind on the other two who were stuck in that closet and could be brutally murdered by the man as well.

For a brief moment, the killer looked back and it was almost as if he saw Yami.

He glared for a second, the silence deathly deep and the murderer still getting strength to kill more as he pleased.

He stalked past Yami and to the stairs, humming a tune. The tune was dark and sharp and slow as if it were a part of a horror movie soundtrack.

Yami suddenly found himself in the closet, in a body, beside another body. He shivered with the other, his eyes wide. He felt his hand being squeezed by the other, who pressed up against him in the dark space.

"Y-Yami?" A voice drifted softly to his ears.

"H-Heba?" He returned, his voice at an extremely low volume as not to be heard outside.

"W-Whats..." There was a pause before continuing, "G-going on?"

Yami was going to answer, but suddenly, the door to their room opened and they heard heavy footsteps walk in to a melody that Yami had heard before.

Suddenly, a gun shot flew through the air and Heba squeezed his hand tighter and Yami squeezed back, just as scared. He heard a picture on the desk fall down with a crash and then, there was silence.

The man was listening for them.

The door opened and their eyes doubled in size upon that happening. Heba shivered violently against Yami and Yami tried his best to silently calm him.

But then, a large gruff hand gripped his arm and yanked him from Heba's grip. Heba let out a shriek and Yami struggled to escape the killers grasp. The killer suddenly put his hand over Yami's mouth and held him with a gun to his back, right behind his heart.

Heba ran out, reaching for Yami with tears in his eyes.

"We're gonna DESTROY HIS HEART."

Yami squeezed his eyes shut, fearing the worst. He could hear Heba's crying and his screaming of Yami's name over and over. Yami felt a huge knife go into his arm and was dragged down. All the way to the wrist.

Yami shouted out with muffled pain and had tears streaming down his cheeks.

The step father only cackled.

A loud click and a spin of the barrel could be heard following that simple phrase. Heba shrieked. He tried to get the killer off of Yami. He ran over and punched him and kicked him repeatedly, only to get knocked back by a swift, heavy punch that set him back with a large purple bruise on his forehead.

Yami tried to call out to him, but he was completely muffled.

The killer's psychopathic song continued with words full of evil and horror. The gunshot echoed through the room and Yami was pushed onto the floor, screaming in pain. His vision pulsed blood red as his heart slowly began to give in.

"YAMI!!" Heba screamed and ran over, the killer just standing aside and watching with an evil smile on his face, "N-NO!! Yami...Yami, p-please. Stay with me. I'm right here."

Yami didn't have the strength to look up to his brother. He lye limp in his arms, his eyes dead and closing. The blood that fell from his arm and his back soaked Heba, but Heba didn't seem to be affected.

The killer grinned from where he stood, tightening his grip on the gun and extremely slowly, making his way to Heba.

"...the prey has been caught." He muttered.

Yami blacked out, feeling the cold tears fall onto his face, still in his loving step brother's arms.

-------

The monitors went crazy. This was not a good sign and every single doctor in the room knew it. Yugi paled when he realized what was happening to Yami.

"Cardiac Arrest!! Get me those paddles!! Now!! His heart is out!!" Yugi heard one say.

"Be sure to give him morpheme to stop the pain!!" Another said.

"Filter that blood now!" Still another said desperately.

A nurse heard the request and answered it politely, handing the pair of electrified paddles to the first doctor.

Yugi felt a large lump form in his throat and his slowly stepped back, his eyes wide and watering.

"...Yami..." He said, shaking his head, "C-Come on..."

The doctor rubbed the paddles together, suddenly getting desperate.

"175 volts!!" He rubbed them as the nurse flipped a switch and a high electrical whir flew through the air.

All the doctors took their hands away, looking at the head.

"CLEAR!!"

The paddles were pressed down into Yami's chest, his body going up and down. They all waited for a good answer. Something showing a sign of better health.

But, to electrify...

Only made it worse.

The heart was completely out and with it, the bloodstreams stopped.

Yugi knew this and tears streamed down his cheeks, still backing away. His shook his head violently and ran out of the room, choking back sobs. Upon exiting, he leaned on the outside doorway and slid down it, hugging his knees and finally letting the sobs out as he cried his heart out.

"...Yami...come back..."