Chapter 45

It wasn't long after that Yugi woke up, jumping to his feet and rushing over to the OR glass to look into the surgery room.

He pressed himself against the glass, watching the doctors from around Yami bustle with tools, trying to patch up the gaping line on Yami's arm.

They began to stitch it up: 20 stitches on the bicep. 22 stitches on the forearm. They wrapped it and then went on to his heart. When they had uncovered it, it seemed like there was a bullet hole in his chest that had been recently put there.

But they weren't sure where it came from.

The monitor could be heard on the outside of that room, slower and slower, but that was better than no pulse no matter how bad the rating may be.

Yugi looked down at the face of Yami that was covered by a large mask, filtering oxygen with the tubes that ran into his mouth.

Yugi saw a doctor put in a few more doses of sedation, injecting them into his good arm. Still another gave him pain killer after pain killer.

But they did nothing, sadly.

Yugi watched, half pained from the sight before him and the unavoidable facts, half relieved that Yami was still alive...if only half alive.

His color was draining rapidly and the pulse he had was slower than before, quickly slowing more.

Doctors rushed around, trying to bump up the pulse, but nothing they tried worked.

Yugi's eyes widened.

They had to do something.

Fast.

One doctor, the captain Yugi assumed, looked up, extremely pale. Yugi read his lips and his heart almost stopped at what he said.

"Two holes in the heart! One throbbing and the other gaped open. This heart may have a bullet lodged in it with an infected wound. this heart is dead."

He wanted to burst into tears. His hand formed a fist and he sank to his knees, the lump in his throat growing more and more.

"Y-YAMI....PLEASE...!"

Jaden and Alexis stood behind him a little ways away. They peered into the window and Alexis almost burst into tears upon what they saw. Alexis clutched Jaden and sobbed quietly into his shoulder. Jaden patted her back, holding her tightly.

"H-He....saved my....life....." She cried, "B-But now....h-he can't s-s-save his own....!"

His eyes filled with tears when he realized what was happening.

"Y-Yami..." He choked back a sob, "P-Please....without you...this hospital...will l-lose everything..."

Yugi peered sullenly into the OR, seeing them continue to rush around.

"He needs a heart transplant and we are waiting WAY too long." He heard another doctor say, "give him the sedative and filter more pain killers."

"MORE painkillers??" One piped up, "If we give him any more, that could be an over dosage!!!"

They all went silent. They were all tending to their own jobs and we're trying to bring Yami back. But they had to think hard. It was true that he was given painkillers and one more would be an overdose. They had to do something fast.

But The machines suddenly went crazy, the silence being broken.

"HEART IS OUT. WE NEED A TRANSPLANT. NOW." The captain boomed, his voice growing desperate just as the other surgeons were.

Yugi watched as several nurses rushed out of the room and everyone positioned themselves quickly but carefully around the surgery table.

They only had a matter of hours.