Chapter 24

Yugi sat there, hugging his knees to his chest and tears streaming down his face. A full five minutes went by and every second that went along with it felt like a century to an eternity. Yugi shivered from his sobs as he struggled to grip the fact that Yami was an inch from death.

Yugi couldn't let it be true.

Yugi wouldn't let it be true.

He pressed against the door, his tears not stopping and increasing like waterfalls. He heard those dreaded sounds through the door. The monitors still went crazy and the high whirring still sounded.

"1! 2! 3!" The voice of the head surgeon rang in his ears again, the whirring louder, but nothing changing.

Yugi sniffled, his tears increasing greatly as he sat there, unable to come to terms with what was going on. He couldn't grip the fact that Yami...

His Mou Hitori...

Could be dead...

Yugi choked back a sob at the thought of the words. Yugi couldn't imagine how different the hospital atmosphere would be if something happened to him...no more silly comments...no more light hearted laughter...no more welcoming smiles...no more comfort in patients...

This place would slip without Yami...it was as if he was the gear that kept it turning. If that one gear stopped...everything stopped.

Yugi couldn't take it anymore. The imagery in his mind about what seemed to be the inevitable stung him. It hurt him. It made him feel as though Yami was already dead... He hugged his knees tighter and cried, longing to hold Yami again as a healthy being.

What did he do to deserve this??

Yugi couldn't find any logical explanation for it. Yami was as innocent as they come. He never did a single thing other than make other people happy. And then he was going to be taken from all of them...especially Yugi.

"Y-Yami..." He pleaded through his tears, not expecting any answer back, "C-Come back...c-come back...t-to me...to all of us..."

Suddenly, a man in a grey hood walked past. His eyes couldn't be seen because of the thick shadow that was cast over them from the hoodie. Yugi watched him suspiciously. There was something strange about him. He stopped and looked into the operation room with Yami inside. As Yugi looked on, the man turned immediately and left.

But Yugi was left with a startling realization. Before the man left...he seemed to smile maniacally. Almost as if he wanted that to happen to Yami. Yugi sat, staring the at wall, trying to comprehend what he had just seen.

-------

Yami floated. In no physical body, he drifted and watched. He saw his sobbing brother over his younger, blood covered body. He couldn't feel the pain anymore, but it still broke his heart to see his brother this way.

"Y-Yami??" Heba gently shook him, "C-Come on, b-brother!! Answer me!! P-Please!! O-Open your eyes!!"

Heba's tears increased when he didn't get a reply. He clutched the body and nuzzled it, his tears still flowing like rivers. The man behind him smirked at the scene and reloaded his gun silently. Heba happened to hear the click, and his sadness was replaced with fury as it was done to Yami's step sister.

"YOU MURDERER!!" He bellowed, jumping up and lunging at him, catching the step father by surprise, "YOU KILLED MY STEP BROTHER AND BEST FRIEND!!"

The step father fell back, the gun flying out his hand from the shock of Heba's sudden fight back. He stumbled, but remained standing, obtaining his balance. Heba's eyes glared and tears still fell down his face, but he didn't care.

"Y-YOU..." He muttered, stalking toward him, "AND YOU CALL YOURSELF A FATHER. WHAT A SHAME."

Heba ran at him and gave his father the uppercut, sending him back again and this time, sending him to the ground. He clenched his fists, towering over his step father. His step father glared back and looked at the gun across the room. He grabbed for it and Heba jumped back and grabbed Yami, picking the limp body up and carrying him on his back.

He had just turned the corner when a loud gun shot could be heard. Luckily, it missed him, but he scrambled down the staircase before another fire could be heard.

Yami floated alongside him, hearing his heaving panting as he ran. Heba struggled not to burst into tears when he passed through the kitchen and saw his mother and sister. He held Yami tightly, not wanting to lose him either. The step father stomped down the stairs after him.

"GET BACK HERE!!" He screamed behind Heba.

Heba sprinted when he realized how close he was to getting caught.

-------

Yugi still sat, his knees close to his chest. He honestly didn't know what was happening now. His sobs covered the sounds of the monitors and the signals of progression to the point where Yugi didn't even have the ability to tell if Yami was now okay or not. He simply sat there, praying he was.

Suddenly, he was interrupted when the door opened and a couple surgeons rolled a gurney carrying Yami out, passing Yugi. Yugi looked up, his eyes widening. He jumped to his feet. He followed them, his prayers still going on and on. Yami had to have been okay.

Yugi couldn't bear the thought of living without him.