Chapter 5

Yami stood inside the door, watching his friend's car drive away. He was looking forward to residency with the new kid. He had never had an apprentice, but now that he thought about who exactly he was training, he actually considered the idea that it wasn't gonna be too hard.

The kid was a natural.

He had the highest GPA in college and medical school.

He pretty much understood what every tool was and what role they all played in different procedures.

This was gonna be a pretty easy thing to do.

After the car pulled out of the parking lot, Yami turned and smoothed out his coat letting out a soft sigh. He was given the morning off until everything with his new apprentice was situated. Now that it was, it was time to get back to work. And Yami had a feeling it was going to be a BUSY day.

He made his way down the hall to the teacher's lounge where he had left his schedule when he didn't really need it.

On his way there, Mai, one of the hospital nurses and also a catch for all the male doctors beside Yami, stopped him.

"Sennen! Sennen!" She panted, running up to him.

"Valentine?" He raised an eyebrow, eyeing her and watching as she neared him, "What is it?"

"We need help in OR 27." She said, "Alexis Rhode's heart has stopped!"

Yami paled. He hated when he got a wakeup call such as that. He really enjoyed being a doctor, but it was a daily routine as a surgeon to get frightened as you realize your patients could die on you or take turns for the worst if you don't help them.

"Alexis Rhodes?" He asked, speed walking down the hall and fixing his coat, "The teen who was hit by that drunk driver last night?"

Mai shuffled along by his side, nodding.

"Nothing Mahad is trying to do is really helping at all." She reported, "We were all hoping you could help like you usually do."

"Well, if its usual that I do it, why stop now?" Yami shrugged as the OR got into view, "Okay. I'll be there in two minutes."

Mai nodded once more and walked in, passing a few other teens, one with brown hair looking in right behind the window as a few others sat on the bench behind him, some crying and others struggling to comfort them.

Yami assumed they were friends of the girl.

He entered the room, slipping on his medical gear and washing his hands, wrists, and even forearms in preparation. This was going to be a close one.

He rushed into the room, most of the doctors inside looking back and locking eyes with him.

"Yami! There you are!" Mahad said, putting down a tool he didn't need anymore and walking over to where Yami stood, "We really need your help here!"

Yami walked over, slipping on his last blue glove and standing beside the girl on the gurney, "Why else do you think I've come here?"

Mahad stood on the other side of the girl, looking attentively at Yami.

"Starting CPR!" One doctor called, the signals on the monitor indicating it was going to be an extremely close call, "Her heart has a gaping hole in it that we need to fix now!"

Yami looked down, his thoughts racing. It wasn't every day that he had to face a challenge such as this one. He began to look around, looking for anything he could use.

"Okay...first we gotta bring that heart back." He mumbled, and then he pointed, "Mai! Bring me the paddles there!"

Mai scurried over to a machine and flipped a switch, a high pitched whirring sound flying through the air. She came right back with two paddles in her hands, and the machine dragged right behind her.

"Here." She simply said, putting the paddles into his hands.

For a brief moment, Yami could see the girl's friends outside the window. The brown haired boy had tears streaming down his cheeks and had to turn away, leaning back against the glass. The others on the bench had all but burst into tears, some hugging each other in attempts to calm themselves, but they had all lost hope.

Yami wasn't going to let that happen.

"Okay! Starting electrocution method!" He rubbed the paddles together, the whirring growing louder, "3! 2! 1! Clear!!"

The doctors pulled their hands away and Yami pressed down on the girl, pressing a button and the body going slightly up then dropping back down. He pulled away, the monitor signals getting all the more louder. Mahad shook his head.

"Yami, its over." He muttered, "The heart's gone."

Yami looked back, the image of the broken hearted friends crushing him. He absolutely could not let this girl and her friends down. It was against all the things he had wanted to do as a doctor. He was determined to succeed in this operation.

"No." He shook his head, "It's Not!!!"

He pressed down against the girl once more, pressing the buttons once more and the body went up and down as he did so.

He pulled away, the room suddenly so silent, you could hear a pin drop.

The monitor calmed and the pulse picked up once more, the girl coming back to normal and a wave of relief overtaking Yami.

Mahad's jaw dropped. But then he smiled. He knew Yami was going to be able to help. He always did and he was always considered one of the finest doctors this hospital had to offer.

Yami sighed and handed the paddles to Mai, the other doctors beginning to get back to work, speaking for tools and other equipment. He looked back, locking eyes with the brown haired boy, whose brown eyes were wide.

He slightly nodded.

The boy slightly smiled and fell to his knees, too relieved for words as he told his friends about what had happened.

Yami turned, slightly smiling himself and looked at the sleeping face of the girl.

"It's alright." He said, "You'll be fine. I promise."