Chapter 27

Another week passed by and Yugi had started to become more involved in more and more surgical operations. Doctors began to trust him more and although he wasn't out of residency and was still on his first year, he felt as though now, he meant something to the hospital. Everyday, he'd meet Yami after he was done.

Yami would always be waiting. Some days, he'd look as though he'd die right there, but he was always waiting for Yugi. Once he got there, life came back. Yami was still having a hard time in recovery, but the medications that he started to take made such a large difference. Yugi was impressed and Yami would go on and on about things that he'd here from the bed past the rhythmic ICU monitor sounds. Yami was back to normal, and he was definitely going to get out very soon.

And they both couldn't wait.

Yugi had just gotten done with another stressful day at work and had stopped by the lounge again for some dinner. He finished work a lot later than he had wanted to, but he thought it would have been unavoidable at the residency rate he was going.

Mana met him at the table with her own packed lunch she had stored in the freezer and had just heated up, relishing taste she had. Yugi looked at the soup she ate.

"Good?" Yugi smiled.

Mana's eyes widened.

"Definitely!!!" She giggled, "Nothing like cheddar and bacon bits!!"

Yugi licked his lips at the sound of the food she had. He had a plate of pasta and cheese. Mana's giggles subsided. She looked at Yugi with a questioning look in her eyes, still with a hint of playful meaning there.

"Say, I gotta ask you something." She said, pushing her bowl aside and leaning on the table, smiling at Yugi.

Yugi tilted his head.

"Okay, what is it?" He returned.

"Uh...what's going on?" She asked, struggling not to burst into a fit of fangirl giggles, "You know...between you and Yami!"

Yugi tried to hide the increased temperature on his cheeks as they grew red. He didn't know how to explain it...he really liked him...maybe more than like.

Maybe was in love with Yami.

Mana nodded and giggled from his silence. She made a little heart with her hands, playfully teasing Yugi. Yugi sank into his seat, his cheeks getting so much redder than before. Mana's giggles faded, but her smile still remained and she walked over, ruffling his hair.

"Aw, Yugi. I'm sorry." She patted his head, "I just think it's adorable~!! My two best friends are in love!!"

She squealed once more, bouncing eagerly. She tapped his shoulder.

"I knew there was something going on between you too!!" She said, "but don't worry, Yugi."

Yugi looked up at her, a questioning look in his eyes. Mana grinned widely.

"Your secret is safe with me and Mahad!" She reassured him.

Yugi stood, "Mahad is in on it too??" He questioned, shocked.

Mana nodded. She giggled nervously. "He may have noticed from the beginning...a lot earlier than me..."

At that moment, Mahad stepped in, a slight smile on his face. He raised an eyebrow and met Mana's side. He put a hand on the table.

"I heard my name. Who's been murdered now?" He chuckled.

Mana giggled.

"I finally got Yugi to let us in on that little secret." She replied to Mahad.

"Really now?" Mahad grinned, "It looks like my futuristic abilities were corrected once more~!!"

Yugi slightly laughed.

"Fine, but you can't tell anyone." Yugi said, "I don't want this to go around the hospital..."

Mahad smiled and locked Yugi in a headlock, laughing.

"Okie dokie, lover boy!" He teasingly taunted, "We won't say a thing! Oh! And guess what?"

Yugi pushed him off of his head and brushed himself off, smoothing out his white coat. He looked at Mahad, who beamed.

"Well? Guess what???" He grinned widely.

"What?" Yugi asked, speaking his thoughts.

"I was talking with the ICU monitoring team today about Yami's wellbeing!" He said, "What if I told you...he was gonna get out in...let's say a week!"

Yugi's eyes widened and his eyes lit up suddenly. He ran and hugged Mahad tightly.

"Really????" Yugi excitedly jumped up and down excitedly.

Mahad nodded, laughing at his innocence.

"Yes! Really!" He chuckled, "But Yami doesn't know! Why don't you tell him?"

Yugi jumped up and he ran out the door.

"I will!" He called over his shoulder, "Thank you!! I'm telling him now!!"

Mana waved after him, grinning broadly. She and Mahad exchanged glances and turned, ready for dinner.

-------

Yugi knocked on the door and got a reply from Yami. Yugi grinned and walked through the door, running up to him. Yami smiled back at him.

"Well, you're looking lovely today!" Yami laughed.

"Yami! I have some awesome news!" Yugi gripped both of Yami's hands in his own.

Yami tightened his grip on Yugi's hands.

"...what?" He asked.

"You're gonna get out!!" Yugi beamed, "Next week!!"

Yami's jaw dropped and his lips formed a smile as he cheered as he wrapped his arms around Yugi in a tight hug. Yugi laughed.

"Oh Yugi!!! You have no idea how long I've waited to hear that!!" He beamed, "I'm so happy, I could..."

Yugi looked up at Yami once his voice trailed off. He grinned and gripped his hands again.

"You could..." He guessed, "...kiss me?"

Yami went red, still looking at him.

"...why not?" He asked, locking his lips with Yugi's.

The two of them remained in each other's arms, face against each other as their fingers intertwined with each other. Yami pressed his forehead against Yugi once they separated, the grin still fresh and wide on his face.

Yugi's face was Crimson and so was Yami's. They gazed into each other's eyes, slightly out of breath. Yugi put a hand on his cheek and Yami put a hand on the back of Yugi's head.

They both smiled at each other, their breath hot on each other's faces, but neither of them caring.

"...I love you." They muttered to each other.