Chapter 30

Yugi had been chilling in his apartment on his birthday, reading some letters and listening to music. He had forgotten all about Yami coming to pick him up to take him out, but he never really thought highly of it.

He personally thought Yami was making a bit too big a deal out of it.

Yugi reread Ryou's letter one last time without realizing what time it was. He giggled at Ryou's various stories about a girl who he had met back in Britain and how different and crazy he was compared to him. But it made Yugi smile knowing that Ryou had finally found someone.

"Oh Ryou, when are you going to propose?" He shook his head, asking himself with a grin, "This Harriet girl...Harry...she sounds like the right one for you!"

Yugi set the paper down and turned to his own stationery when he was interrupted by someone knocking on his apartment door. He jumped up and looked at the clock.

7:00 it read.

"Uh oh..." Yugi muttered under his breath.

"Hello, Yugi? It's me!" A voice from behind the door called to him with a friendly tone, "I hope you didn't forget I was taking you out!"

Yugi's eyes widened and he nervously looked at the door and walked over, opening it. He was still in his casual clothes and still had to change. Slightly red, he opened the door to Yami.

"H-Hey!" He grinned, locking eyes with Yami who smiled at him.

"Hey, Yugi!" He stood, his hands in his pockets and his cheeks slightly red, "Sorry if I was a little late..."

Yugi shrugged, inviting him in. Yami nodded and walked in politely.

"Wow. Nice apartment!" He said, looking around, "So, you ready?"

Yugi looked at his bedroom.

"Um, could you give me maybe 5 minutes to get changed into my actual clothes?" He giggled nervously, "I, uh, may have lost track of time..."

Yami nodded, grinning.

"Of course, Yugi!" He stepped aside, closing the door, "And uh, happy birthday!"

Yugi giggled and turned, pointing to the living room a couple feet away.

"You can sit on the couch and watch a little television." Yugi looked back, "Make yourself comfortable. I won't be very long!"

Yami tapped Yugi's shoulder and sat on the couch, watching him walk into his room. Yugi looked back one final time and smiled.

"And um...thank you!" He replied to Yami's previous 'happy birthday' comment.

"Don't mention it, Yugi!" Yami grinned back.

It didn't take long for Yugi to change just like he had told Yami before getting changed. In less than 10 minutes, he returned, ready to go out. Yami grinned and met his side.

"That didn't take long at all!" He laughed.

"Well, I'm not like a lot of other guys who take hours to dress!" Yugi giggled.

"Not like Mahad, anyway." Yami laughed once more as they made their way outside.

The car waited not far from the exit and Yami pulled out the keys, unlocking the car. Yugi and he got in, chattering small talk to each other as they did so and sooner than Yugi knew it, they were off.

---

"Oh...Its been forever since I've set foot inside this building..." Yugi muttered, his eyes widening with joy and sadness at the same time.

They had just arrived at the Kame Game shop, where Yugi lived and worked with his deceased Grandfather. The place was worn down and was old. A couple letters from the sign were either cracked or faded from no cleaning or any human assistance after his Grandfather.

Yami looked at it.

"So, I take that this is it?" He looked at Yugi expectantly, receiving a nod in return.

"I can remember playing in the yard as a child...I had a couple cars and a little ambulance that I would roll around, making my own little scenes up with my toys..." Yugi looked at a spot in the yard that was the exact spot, "Many times, my grandfather would listen to the stories and would make me laugh by adding his own silly comments."

Yugi smiled sadly, but felt Yami grip his hand. Yugi looked up at Yami was greeted by a loving smile.

"Why don't we go inside?" He tilted his head, motioning to the door, "Maybe you could give me a tour?"

Yugi smiled and nodded slightly.

They both walked through the door of the shop, Yugi suddenly flooded with the memories that had been stored in the back of his mind since he had gone off to college.

"...What have I done to this place?" He looked down.

Yami looked at him and raised an eyebrow.

"What do you mean?" He asked.

"...As a kid, my grandfather would make me promise that I would take over the business after him..." Yugi's eyes fogged with tears, "But...after going to college...and him dying...I...This place is gone..."

Yugi felt a tear fall down his face. His eyes fell on a cracked photo of him and his grandfather on the front desk beside the register and looked away, the tears increasing.

Yami couldn't think of anything to say. He held Yugi close as he felt cold tears fall down the side of his neck from Yugi nuzzling against him.

He rubbed Yugi's back.

"Look...I'm sure its not gone..." Yami whispered reassuringly into Yugi's ear, "You're still here...maybe there's still something you can do..."

Yugi sniffed shakily and looked at Yami, his eyes shining with the tears.

"B-But...being a...d-doctor..." He shook his head, "...It...w-would be..."

Yugi burst into more tears, feeling terrible for leaving his grandfather's business and letting this place go out of business after all the promises. Yami sighed sadly and only held Yugi close, not knowing what else to do.

"I'm sure there's something..." He whispered to himself, "...We can do..."