Chapter 50

"Ugh..."

The next morning, Yugi was reluctant to wake. He stayed up late enough with everything that happened from the surgery, to the meeting, to Yami waking up...

The very thought made a Yugi smile.

Yami was awake. He was better.

He was back.

Yugi sat up in bed, rubbing the sleep from his eyes. He stretched his arms, arching his back when he did so. He yawned, flopping back into his pillow and staring up at the ceiling.

"Another day...." He muttered, sleepily on his pillow, "...more work..."

Yugi finally sat up and shoved the sleepy feeling aside. He stood from the bed and stretched one more time, taking a look at the time.

It was 7.

He was right on time.

Yugi made his way to the kitchen, brewing some coffee and turning on some news as he got dressed. His morning went on normally, with him checking his schedule and dressing in his white coat and collared shirt and him finishing his coffee.

But there was that one news report that Yugi missed on his way out the door that covered a furious criminal in the prison of Domino City. Followed by a report on a new form of antibiotic that was raising suspicions with patients and surgeons.

One that seemed to have Dr. MOTO and Sennen on his mind.

--------

"Don't strain, Yami."

Yugi sat in Yami's room, holding his hand while the tubes were being inspected. The inspection seemed to bruise Yami's arms and chest, causing him to wince from the pain every now and again.

"O-Ow..." He tightened his grip on Yugi weakly, squeezing his eyes closed.

Mana knelt on the other side, rubbing Yami's arm to calm the bruise. She smiled reassuringly, tracing her finger through the scars and the bandages on his arm.

"Hey, you're doing great." She said, smiling gently, "I think you are doing fine."

Yami shook his head, burying his face in Yugi's arm. He shivered.

Yami didn't have as much strength as he wanted. Yugi knew it.

"I got you..." Yugi whispered, nuzzling him, "I got you..."

Yami closed his eyes, slightly in pain. He whimpered silently, Yugi wrapping his arms around him, pulling Yami slightly closer.

"So?" He looked up at Mahad, who stood beside Karim, looking through results.

Yugi held Yami closer, watching as they examined the papers.

Mahad and Karim's face slightly fell and they looked at each other. Yugi tightened his grip gently, hearing Yami weakly squeak in pain.

"Well?" He repeated, his eyes widening.

Karim turned, Mahad joining Mana's side, gripping her hand as she held Yami's other one.

"Well..." Karim began, "He is stable...but his stability is dwindling. He is responding, but the responses his body is giving are those of...well..."

Mana and Mahad tightened their grip on each other. Yami nuzzled into Yugi weakly, closing his eyes.

"Their strength is disintegrating." Karim said, "The muscles are shrinking and the antibiotics, somehow, are only making things worse..."

Yugi paled and his eyes watered. He wrapped his arm around Yami's chin as his lover slept soundly, his chest moving up and down, slower than what Yugi expected.

"B-But he..." Yugi said, on the verge of tears.

Mana lay her head on Mahad's shoulder, a tear falling down her cheek and Mahad looked down at Yami.

"But he is awake..." He said, his voice cracking, "He's supposed to be better..."

Karim sighed.

"He woke up too soon. Several weeks too soon." Karim muttered sadly, "...maybe even months too soon. That is extremely dangerous to the body's recuperation and restrengthening. It could send him back in for another 5 months to 6 months..."

"N-No..."

Yugi shook his head and rested it on the top of Yami's sleeping one. He shook his head, the tears increasing more and more until he began to silently son as he held Yami closer.

"N-No...no..no....nonono...." Yugi breathed through his sobs.

Karim bit his bottom lip, his own eyes being pumped with tears. He traced his fingers through Yami's hair, not waking him.

"I'm sorry..." Karim said, "But he was far too early. Too early for his own good."

Mahad hiccuped, holding Mana, who shook against him with her sobs. She gripped his shirt as he gripped her in return.

Yugi felt himself whimper into Yami's head.

"Y-Yami..." He pleaded, the tears falling down his cheeks and onto Yami's head, "W-W-Why...?"