Chapter 11

Yugi's heart raced.

This was his first surgery. And even though he was pretty much there to observe, he was still going to be in the same room with other experienced doctors and as real life patient as opposed to practice dummies in medical school.

He and Yami walked down the hall that Yugi now knew all too well.

Yami looked at him, giving a reassuring smile.

"It might seem nerve wreaking at first." He told him, "But once you start, you forget about everything except the patient."

Yugi looked back and slightly nodded, the simple statement successfully calming him at least a little.

Yami and He went through a set of double doors where they were to get ready. Yami began washing his hands and lathering them both with soap that covered his wrists all the way up to his elbows. Yugi copied him, his heart still pounding.

Sooner than not, the patient arrived and all the doctors gathered around with tools and the nurse from before spoke to them with a loud, clear voice.

"This is Mr. Tsunami. He has a cluster of ulcers in his lower stomach that were shown to be deep by the CT scan we gave him. He is under anesthetics so at the moment, he is not active." She reported.

Yugi listened intently, standing next to Yami, who did the same. Yami fingered a scalpel in his hand, ready to begin once Mai was finished. He exchanged glances with Yugi and shot him one more reassuring smile his way.

And soon, it was time to begin.

Yami cut down the side where the stomach was located, other doctors coming in to pick up the blood that seeped through the cut. The cut was gently opened as to show the stomach that had a group of 3 black spots, those being the ulcers.

Yami looked slightly at Yugi.

"What do we do?" He asked over all the monitors, the others not really hearing over their own chattering.

Yugi looked at him, his eyes wide.

"Well...first we cut the sack open and we numb the area where the ulcers are." Yugi said, speaking as though something within him snapped and he knew exactly what to do, "We need to cut out the infected sections of the stomach without touching the Duodenum."

A smile grew on Yami's face and he nodded slightly.

"Very good." He said, "Then what do we do last?"

"Replace it with a section of a donated one." Yugi answered as though he knew all along.

He surprised himself. He didn't think it was gonna be this easy!

Yami was impressed. Yugi knew more than a two year resident and had the quick thinking skills of a seasoned surgeon! He exchanged a few last glances with Yugi and went on, cutting into the tissue of the stomach.

"Yami, you're really close to that intestine." A doctor who stood on the other side of him said, carrying a few tools and looking in, "A little too close."

Yami swatted slightly.

"I know what I'm doing, Mahad." Yami said, working around the other surgeons.

Yugi got to work as well, beginning to put the numbing antibiotic onto the stomach where the ulcers could be seen. Mahad and he met eyes.

"Well if it isn't Yugi Moto." Mahad said, smiling, "I wasn't expecting to see you here."

Yugi slightly smiled back, still working.

"Hello to you too, Doctor Mahad." Yugi looked up at him, "I was expecting to be going home, but Yami invited me in. And I can't deny my teacher."

Yami slightly chuckled.

"Teacher sounds too formal, Yugi." He muttered playfully.

"That is what you are, Yami." Mahad laughed, "You can't deny that statement."

Yami slightly rolled his eyes, teasingly.

"Come on, you two." Yugi put the antibiotics away, looking at them, "Let's get back to work."

They both nodded back, the surgery going on from there with a new surgeon in the works working with them.