Chapter 28

Yugi and Yami anxiously waited for the week to pass to make way for the day when Yami was able to get out of the hospital for good. His condition since the seizer he had had improved a large amount and Yugi visited him every day he could.

And finally, the day arrived.

Yugi ran his fingers through his hair after a really intense surgery he had to work in. The patient that had come in had been crippled in a large car accident and she had to be put on a respirator in order to keep her heart pumping and her lungs inflating and deflating.

Her name?

Shadette Chronus.

Yugi wiped the sweat from his forehead and he leaned on the wall, watching the patient being rolled away to her room on the third floor. He sighed with relief, another patient safe and sound.

Mahad stopped by him, patting Yugi on the head.

"Good boy, Yugi." He chuckled, "Another successful surgery!"

Yugi looked at him with a relieved smile.

"I don't think I ever had that large of a rush." He said, swatting at his hand.

Mahad chuckled again.

"Yep, when she started to go into shock, we all got a scare." He nodded, "But you knew exactly what to do! Yami must be teaching you well even though he's been confined to a bed the last couple of months."

Yugi giggled.

"Well, we've had our talks and I am always updating..." He replied, "He likes to give me tips on how to do things."

Mahad nodded, but was interrupted by Mana jumping into their conversation.

"Hey! Guys!" She beamed as her eyes lit up brightly.

Mahad and Yugi smiled back at her. She seemed to be a lot happier today than yesterday or the day before. Mana motioned slightly to a couple of other doctors who talked to each other. One was a man and the other was a woman.

Mahad looked over Mana's shoulder at the couple and his eyes widened.

"What are they doing here?" He asked her, slightly awed, "We don't have any fourth year residents here!"

Mana shrugged and looked at Yugi.

"I was listening in on their conversation when I first realized they had come in." She told him, "I couldn't pick up a lot, but I could hear your name sprinkled in the conversation!"

Yugi paled at the sound of that. He had no idea who the people were or what they would have wanted to do with him. He was only a first year resident, about to start his second year in residency. Mahad said they only worked with fourth year residents.

What would they want from him?

"But...why???" He asked, raising an eyebrow in Mana's direction and speaking Mahad's own thoughts.

Mana only shrugged a second time before turning and seeing that the people weren't there anymore. She was slightly surprised.

"I don't know, like I've said..." Mana looked back at them, "I only just found out they were here only a couple weeks ago."

Mahad and Yugi exchanged confused glances. Neither of them had any idea what they were doing at this hospital and they weren't sure when they were gonna find out.

Mana interrupted their thoughts when she grabbed Mahad and reminded him that it was his night and that he was gonna have to follow in on his promise to Yami in fulfilling his surgeries for him while he was in the ICU.

Mahad nodded and walked out with a last wave of the hand to Yugi and Mana and left. Mana and Yugi stood in silence, Yugi still quite puzzled. It remained that way until he excused himself a couple moments later and left.

He was on his way to help Yami pack his things to leave when the couple from before stopped him down the hall from the room.

"Excuse us, Mr. Yugi Moto?" The woman called gently to him.

Yugi stopped, his eyes widening.

"Y-Yes?" He replied, slightly nervous. He turned and was greeted by the sight of the couple walking in his direction. They looked at him determinedly, but at the same time gently. Yugi didn't know what to make of it.

"Mr. Moto, I am Mr. Rex Goodwin and this is my assistant, Mrs. Mikage Sagiri." The taller man with slick back slightly greyed hair introduced himself to Yugi, "We are from the City Medical District."

Yugi paled further. The CITY MEDICAL DISTRICT?? That was the highest medical company in the entire Domino City terrain! What did they want?

Mrs. Mikage answered his questions quickly afterwards.

"We have been monitoring your progress since your mentors...incident." She explained, "We must say...we are VERY impressed with your job here."

Yugi's self confidence was suddenly boasted a HUGE amount at this compliment and he grinned slightly. He his cheeks warm, a signal of him blushing.

"Thank you..." He looked down, bashfully.

"Although you are only a first year resident..." She continued, "You show more potential and determination and confidence than many of the doctors and surgeons who work in Domino City." She continued.

"And, because of the shortage of doctors like you, we have made a decision that may or may not be proud of." Mr. Rex finished for her, "We expect you will approve of our decision here with the whole district."

Yugi hung on to every word that traveled from the mouths of both of them. He couldn't believe where this was going.

And he didn't know if he was right or if he was wrong.

"Yugi Moto, we hereby promote you to high class surgeon." They both say, "Congratulations to you!"

Yugi's heart swell up and he beamed, hugging them both tightly.

"Thank You!! Thank You Thank You Thank You!!!!!" He repeated over and over, receiving giggles and chuckles from the two in his arms, "Thank you so much!!!"

"Thank YOU for your amazing work!" Mrs. Mikage returned.

Yugi let go of them and turned around, seeing Yami's door opening and Yami poking his head out with his bags, looking around and locking eyes with Yugi, who sprinted happily in his direction.

And he couldn't wait to tell him what happened!