Chapter 9

Yugi and Yami both walked down the hallway from Mana, side by side. Yugi wasn't all to sure on where Yami was taking him at the moment, but he was pretty sure that sooner or later, he would figure it out.

"So, first you'll have to get the feels around here." Yami looked at him, "As in, you have to understand what all goes on here and what all happens behind surgery walls."

Yugi nodded, knowing deep down that that was the proper response to when one was teaching you. Yami turned back and slightly smiled.

"Ya know, you don't have to be completely polite with me, Yugi." He slightly chuckled, "I've not been here for long, so I don't think it would matter if you weren't entirely proper around this guy."

Yugi slightly giggled from his comment.

"Oh. Okay, this guy." He snickered, smirking.

"See? Just be yourself and you'll get the most out of it!" Yami grinned and continued walking with Yugi by his side.

Yugi slightly laughed. He realized that he was very lucky to have been assigned a doctor such as Yami for residency because he was so laid back and chilled! His lighthearted comments and laughter lifted Yugi's spirits and actually helped Yugi form a love of working here.

"So, where are we going?" Yugi asked Yami once his laughter died down.

"You're studying in head, neck, and chest trauma, correct?" Yami looked at him, stopping at an elevator.

"Yes." Yugi nodded, the elevator door opening for the two of them to step inside.

"Good. I thought so." Yami slightly nodded back as they both got in and the doors closed, a soft ding sounding.

"I was hoping to introduce you to a few of my fellow surgeons who you might be working with once the residency is over." Yami said, pushing a button and the elevator going up.

The elevator ride was quiet until they reached their destined floor, one that was lined with room after room. They walked down the hall and turned a corner, operation rooms then folding out in front of the two.

They walked down the hall, Yugi looking to the right or left every now and again, and his eyes falling on clusters of surgeons gathered around a single patient in operation.

"Someday, maybe extremely soon depending on how you do during the residency, you'll be joining them." Yami said, knowing what Yugi was doing, "I can remember being in your shoes."

Yugi looked at him, slightly confused.

"What do you mean, Yami?" He asked him.

"I can remember my first few days of residency as though it was only yesterday." He said, looking at Yugi with a slight smile, "I honestly didn't have any idea what I was doing there like you. My mentor was pretty friendly and he made my residency enjoyable, like I hope I'm doing with yours."

Yugi nodded. 'You KNOW your doing it right' He thought to himself, playfully.

"It took a little time to get into the swing of things, but..." He smiled at him, "I got it. And I'm sure you will too. You're a pretty smart and caring kid."

Yugi slightly giggled from the compliment. They then turned yet another corner, Yugi's eyes falling on a slightly buff man leaning on the outside of an operation room door and taking off his gloves probably after an operation.

"Karim!" Yami said, causing the doctor to look up, "Doctor Karim! Over here!"

The doctor stood up straight and greeted Yami with a friendly gesture.

"Sennen!" He called back as the two of them got closer, "There you are!"

"Karim! I've finally found you!" Yami smiled, "How was the operation on Izinski?"

"Oh, you mean Akiza?" He returned, slightly shrugging, "Almost lost her from the huge lack of blood she had, but eventually...we did it. She's gonna have to come back in later this week."

"What happened to her again?" Yami rubbed his chin.

"Motorbike accident." Karim replied, "Torn femur and bruised brain...started bleeding on us in surgery."

"Yikes..." Yugi couldn't help the comment.

"But who's this?" Karim looked from Yami to Yugi, raising an eyebrow, "Is this the new apprentice everyone was talking about?"

"Huh?" Yami looked at Yugi, "Oh yes. Karim, meet Yugi. He is my apprentice for the next few months." He motioned to Yugi for Karim, "Yugi, this is Karim. He is one of my friends and will be one of my friends for years to come."

Karim shook Yugi's hand friendlily, "Welcome. It's nice to meet you."

"It's very nice to meet you too, Karim." Yugi nodded, giving him a friendly smile back.

"Well, Karim." Yami smiled once they completed their gesture, "I wanted to bring Yugi around the building and to sorta let him know what all goes on here."

"Oh really?" Karim looked at him, "Well, I do Ruptures, Internal bleeds, and Broken Bones. Much of which went on within the poor patient we had today."

"Really?" Yugi listened politely to him, tilting his head.

Karim nodded and continued, giving all the information Yugi needed for when he did operation with someone with a job such as his own.