Chapter 38

Mahad and Mana's eyes widened as they watched Yugi anxiously pacing the room they sat in.

"W-What happened??" Mahad asked, his eyes wide with horror.

"I-I..." Yugi looked at them, dead on his face, "I don't know!! H-He won't pick up!!"

They all went silent, not knowing what to think. Yami would never have cut off a conversation on purpose. And if he did, he would certainly answer if something tried to call him back.

Mana opened her mouth to say something, when suddenly there was a knock on the door to the room they were in. A nurse peeked into the room, her eyes on Mana.

"Surgeon Team 07 is needed in the Emergency Room entrance. There was a bad accident on Highway 69 and we need all the help we can get. They say it's the worst this season."

Mana jumped up and nodded, smoothing out her coat before turning.

Yugi had the worst feeling that grew inside. He also needed to get ready. If this was the worst accident this season, he was gonna have to be ready.

"Right." Mana nodded, walking out the door and Yugi and Mahad walking quickly behind.

Mana walked out the entrance door and Yugi and Mahad made their way to the Emergency room area, where the rest of the surgeons on the team were waiting with them.

---

Yami limply hung out of his drivers seat, his door torn from the frame and the window shattered. His eyes drooped and his head and body ached. His arm had been crushed by the passenger door that had been shoved inside out and crushed his left arm. His legs were numb from the dashboard that caved in on the limbs, not allowing him to be able to move them.

Blood dripped down his face, covering his left eye and not stopping until it slipped down his neck and soaked his shirt. His other eye was bleeding, slit open from a single shard that had sliced through it. A single nostril was bloody, and the blood wouldn't stop until it made a dry crust on his cheek and the side of his mouth. He shivered, panting violently as he tried to catch his breath that wouldn't come to him.

His chest hurt more than any other part of his body. His chest heaved and Yami could feel broken ribs scattered across the inside of his chest, making it harder to breathe.

"I...Ow..." He muttered, the pain growing slightly as he hung there, limply, "...It...h....urts...."

Suddenly, his belt snapped and he went tumbling out, the pain increasing. His legs were ripped from the dashboard, chunks of his flesh ripping off with it, causing him to whimper loudly, contracting as the pain quickly worsened.

His clothes were torn and blood poured out of multiple open wounds all across his body. His heart pounded and his eyes pulsed, tears of fright brimming his eyes. The grass he fell onto had its way of comforting him, but one way that wasn't very helpful. He felt the pain get worse until he finally stopped, the image of the starry night sky over him.

He whimpered more, the tears still coming to his eyes.

"H-Help...Help me..." His eyes watered, "P-please...help..."

He heard a car door open and a man walked out, a look of fake concern for him upon his face. He wore a black hood, one that Yami noticed almost immediately.

"You know..." A deep voice muttered, "I thought this was an accident. Maybe it was pure chance that I meet you. In this way, especially."

The one he saw in his dream of Heba...and with the dagger. The dagger that flew for his chest during the nightmare he had that one night. His heart thundered in his chest and his eyes continued to pulse, the sweat increasing.