Chapter 62

Atem straightened up in his seat, having just eaten his last cookie that had been given to him. He drank his juice and stood, careful not to stumble from the lack of blood running through his veins.

It was gonna come back soon. He knew it.

He felt good, despite his fear of needles that he had had since he was a young child. But, with some help from his deceased loved who just so happened to come to him in a dream, taking him by surprise, he was able to come and do something he hadn't done in forever:

Donate blood.

And it made him feel good about it. He felt a lot better after it was over, since he had gotten done.

He began to walk to the door, cautious since he knew his legs could give out at any moment in time since the blood donation. He was sure to grip something as he went, being a little lining that protruded from the surface, that he sorta ran his hand along for balance.

He kept his gaze ahead, his eyes falling on Mana and Mahad, who were leaving a room with an open door and smiling at each other, chattering. They're arms were linked and they laughed slightly as they left.

Their little giggly scene made Atem smile. He and Heba would always have those, although they had to keep it at a low because of the strict rules of their unit. But they still had them in secret, and those memories were always ones to bring a smile to his face.

He missed Heba, but he still loved him all the same.

Finally, Atem reached the open door, assuming it was Heba's Brother, Yami's, room. And upon looking in and seeing the young man hooked up to machines that surrounded a hospital bed, Atem found that his assumption was correct.

But there was something else. There was a second young man in the room, holding the other's gently, yet tightly.

The man looked up, tears in his eyes, but a slight smile on his face. And this smile reflected relief and happiness.

But his appearance stunned Atem.

"H-Heba???" He thought to himself, his eyes wide.

-------

Yugi's eyes were closed as he muttered prayer after prayer of thanks. His Yami had been saved, if not for the tenth time. He was extremely relieved, but was extremely concerned about these turns he was taking.

Yami has been dodging bullet after bullet, successfully coming back for more...but how much more will he take?

It had been going on for weeks now. How long was it going to be before Yami saw the end?

Days?

Months?

...Years??

Yugi sighed, looking at Yami's still face. The respirator tube ran up his nose and down his throat, and the ventilation tube also went down his throat, beeping and whooshing with the rise and fall of Yami's chest. He sighed slightly, relieved that he was slightly stable again, but he was still in a serious condition.

He suddenly heard someone enter the room and he looked up at an awed man. He stood up immediately and ran over to him, hugging him tightly. He knew this man. He was the one who saved Yami just then.

"Th-Thank you..." He said, "Thank you so much..."

The man hesitantly wrapped his arms around him in return. But soon, he squeezed him in return.

"You're welcome." He whispered, separating with him.

Yugi looked up at him, grinning like an idiot.

"You have no idea how much you were needed." He said, turning, "Yami had been dodging bullets left and right and you helped him dodge yet another."

Atem sat in the other chair, looking at him. He tilted his head slightly, eyeing him.

"Yugi, right?" He asked.

Yugi nodded.

"Atem, correct?" Yugi returned to him, also slightly tilting his head.

Atem also nodded.

-------

Yami yelped and contracted.

Another hard pang of hurt whipped through his body.

Yami panted, surrounded by darkness. It hurt to move and it hurt to do anything. His chest heaved and he floated in a dark space, eyes blazing with pain.

He whimpered slightly, closing his eyes and gritting his teeth.

How much longer was this going to go on? He no longer wanted to live if it meant suffering pain the rest of his life. He now wanted nothing more than to join his family.

To leave the pain behind.

He wanted it to stop.

"H-Help..." He whimpered, his eyes brimming, "I-If anyone can here...help me..."

Another pang of pain jolted from inside him and he jerked himself straight, screaming. It was too much. He couldn't do this anymore. He shut his eyes and prayed for death. He didn't want this anymore.

He didn't want to suffer.

He didn't want to hurt.

He didn't want to live in this unending suffering and hurt. It was more than he could take. Suddenly, he heard his name being called and he opened his eyes.

A light began to illuminate the darkness, and he heard his name being called. He felt no more pain and he saw faces that were all too familiar coming toward him.

His family.

And his step family.

He ran toward them, a smile forming on his lips. He ran into their arms, beaming.

He was home.