Chapter 4

Yugi and Yami made their ways down the hall and into the elevators. Neither one really said much, but every now and again, they would engage in conversation, and it would be like they had known each other for a long while.

Yugi really enjoyed the feeling he had around this extremely friendly doctor.

Yami made him feel as though he was as close as a best friend would be, despite the fact they had only just met.

Yugi and Yami passed down halls lined with doors and pictures that hung on the walls on either side of them. Yugi would look at the pictures if only for a brief moment, seeing images of various doctors and nurses who supposedly worked there. He noticed how they all wore their coats and uniforms with great sophistication. They all seemed created for this job.

Was that how people had viewed Yugi? Maybe that was why it was so easy...

He had always been known in high school and college as the Valedictorian who studied continuously, and who went through school with flying colors and the highest averages in all the grade.

He had always found school easy too...

But he had always assumed that that was because of his time always being in the small game shop with his grandfather. No one actually ever came, so Yugi would resort to text books to pass the time. Every single student in the class thought that to be extremely different. But they never really talked to him. Yugi was always the runt of the litter. He never played sports, hung out with other kids, and was always alone.

Until he met his little high school friends.

For some time during the walk, he thought to himself about what it would be like to be an actual doctor. To know inside and out what surgical procedure to do to help a patient, how much help it would be, and which scenarios to use it.

"Yugi?" Yami suddenly snapped him out of his thoughts, "You've been so quiet. Is something wrong?"

Yugi looked up and looked at him. He shook his eyes.

"Nope. I was just..." Yugi shrugged, "Thinking."

Yami raised an eyebrow slightly and looked ahead, seeing a tall man with long hair making his way down the hall in the other direction. He walked quickly, reading through a few papers in his hands and he looked up, locking eyes with Yami.

"Sennen!" he said, smiling suddenly.

"Mahad!" Yami waved, grinning back, "It's about time I saw you!"

Mahad chuckled, slowing down and stopping at them.

"Sorry. I had some surgery stuff to take care of. I had to pull another all nighter..." He sighed, slightly yawning.

"Another?" Yami's jaw dropped, "What happened to this one?"

Mahad, the doctor who had been conversing with Yami, shrugged.

"Another drunk driver, coming home from a bar probably." He said, "Ran over a young teen babysitting her siblings! I had to rush to the scene and fix the teen's spinal cord and other broken bones. Poor girl might even be paralyzed."

Yugi's eyes widened. He had completely forgot about the huge responsibility a surgeon had in the recovery of a patient. It was up to the job you did in surgery that would determine the outcome for the patient.

Life or death?

It depended on you.

"Poor thing." Yami shook his head, "And what idiots. That's the 18th drunken accident we've had this summer."