Chapter 49

Yugi knelt by the bed, his eyes widened with tears of relief streaming down his cheeks.

Yami looked at him, his eyes dropping, but full of relief and pain. He whimpered, too weak to speak.

Yugi took his hand and kissed it thankfully, gently clutching it in both of his hands.

"Y-Y.....ug....i..." Yami whispered through the mask and tubes he had, his voice hoarse and weak.

Yugi kissed the hand one more time.

"Y-Yami..." He whispered, "I'm here. I won't leave you. I promise."

Yami relaxed, his hand limp in both of Yugi's hands. His entire body ached and the touch and he could hardly believe that he was conscious. What happened?

He wasn't all that sure.

He tightened his grip on Yugi's hand ever so slightly, the pain he felt growing slightly more intense. He winced, a shot of pain shooting through his body.

Yugi tightened his grip.

"Hey." He said, reaching out and reassuringly caressing his stitched cheek, "Hey. Hey."

Yami whimpered, his eye drooping as he looked over at Yugi.

"I got you." Yugi whispered comfortingly, "I'm right here. Don't you worry."

Yami tilted his head weakly, pressing against Yugi's touch. Yami blinked away some tears that rose from the growing pain that he felt as he lay there in his bed.

"I....t...." He weakly rasped out, "H......ur........t........s......"

Yugi nodded, kneeling beside him again.

"I know...but I will help you." He said, standing and sitting on the side of the bed, careful not to sit on Yami or any of his IVs. He ran his fingers through Yami's hair and sighed sadly, "I will help you heal. I promise."

Yami didn't respond. He couldn't find the strength to speak any longer. The pain was unbearable now.

Yugi still held onto him like he should have.

"Yami..." He whispered, leaning down and kissing Yami's forehead, "I've got you...and I won't let anyone hurt you...anymore."

Yami and Yugi sat there in silence, Yami struggling with the tubes and the wires and the life supports and the pains. Yugi's words filled him with more comfort than anyone else could provide, but it didn't heal the injuries.

Yugi sat there, stroking Yami's cheek in a gentle, reassuring manner. The stitches he had were in three rows, on either side of his face. They varied in lengths, but Yugi giggled slightly.

"You look like a kitten." Yugi smiled slightly, running his fingers gently over the stitches, "My kitten..."

Yami's lips curled into the slightest smile that he could muster. He made the faintest purring noise he could, feeling Yugi still run his fingers over the stitches on his face.

Yugi slightly giggled.

Yami was still his old self, no matter how many machines he was put on, and no matter how close to death he might be.

He was still the Yami that Yugi had fallen in love with and was still in love with. And always would be.

Yami's voice was hoarse and scratchy, from the amount of time he spent sleeping and not talking really at all. Yugi and Yami sat together still. Yugi never let go of Yami's hand and he never thought of having to leave from Yami, until he realized how late it was.

Yugi stood and kissed Yami's forehead, a third time that night.

"I love you..." He whispered lovingly, "This will all be over..."

Yami nodded weakly, straining to do so. Yugi shook his head and rested his hand on Yami's head.

"Don't strain yourself." He whispered, before kissing him one more time, "Relax. I'll return tomorrow. I promise you that."

Yugi turned with a final grin, half of relief and half of love, before leaving Yami, closing the door behind him and leaving Yami alone.

Yami's eyes fell low, growing sleepy. His gaze was pulled to the ceiling, where he heard laughter. He weakly shook his head.

He knew what was happening.

Yet he didn't.