Chapter 48

Yugi sat there after everyone left, clutching the paper he was given. He couldn't accept what was going on around him. He couldn't understand what was happening.

He couldn't understand that BLASTED RULE.

Why?

Why Yami??

What had he EVER done to deserve this???

Yugi saw nothing to answer his questions.

Mana and Mahad stood silently beside him, tears silently falling down their cheeks. Yami wasn't just a colleague. He was a companion. A friend. One of the best at the hospital. He brought life to the staff. He brightened everyone's day with his silly remarks and his jokes that he would crack to lighten the mood of any situation.

And he was, more than anyone else, always there for his patients to help them heal as well.

But now, no one could reassure him.

No one could stand by his side and help him heal.

He was past the point of no return.

He was dying.

There was no way around it.

Mana rested a hand on Yugi's shoulder, only to have Yugi push it off, throwing the paper and standing up. His face was covered in tear streaks and his eyes were watery. He glared, mad at himself.

"Y-Yugi??" Mahad and Mana both walked after him.

"L-LEAVE ME ALONE." Yugi said, his voice cracking and his sadness being replaced with fury.

"YUGI!" Mahad called, almost having to run after him.

Yugi said nothing, walking into an empty OR. He locked the door, hearing Mahad and Mana both banging on the door, struggling to get it open.

"YUGI! OPEN THIS DOOR!!!" Mahad demanded, a feeling of dread rising from within him.

"PLEASE!" Mana agreed, also banging on the door.

Yugi fell to his knees, the blurry image of a sharp scalpel coming into view from beside him. His tears increased as he reached for it.

"I-I did this to Yami..." He whimpered to himself, "I-I knew...this was going to...happen..."

The two on the other fell silent, listening. Their eyes both widened and they exchanged glances. Yugi reached for the scalpel, clutching it.

"I was warned..." He muttered, "Several times...but I was too f-foolish...and...sent him to his almost...immediate death..."

He held the scalpel to his wrist.

"I did this..."

Mana kicked the door. She had tears in her eyes, for she knew what Yugi was doing. She shook her head.

"NO!! YOU DIDN'T!!!!" She said through her tears, "I W-WAS TALKING TO J-J-JADEN AND HE SAID THE FIRST WORDS THAT CAME OUT OF HIS MOUTH WAS A PLEA FOR YOU!!!! HE LOVES YOU!!!!" Her voice faded as she burst into tears, "H-He loves you....he wouldn't...leave you...so...don't give up..."

Yugi's eyes widened and he dropped the scalpel with a clang on the floor. He fell to his knees and burst into tears.

"Th-Then why d-don't he c-c-come back???????????" Yugi sobbed out loud, "I can't p-picture life...without him!!!!"

Mahad finally got the door open and Mana ran in quickly and took Yugi into her arms, hugging him tightly. She was crying silently as well with tears going down her face.

"I-I...I don't know...." She whimpered.

Mahad joined them, not knowing what to say. So many times, he had been in the same situation. Yami was always there to comfort him. He helped him so much in terms of consolation and he lightened the feel in so many that not many people could do the same.

They stayed like that, in each other's arms, and mourning.

--

Yugi sat beside Yami, the sound of his IVs and his life supports were almost deafening and only made Yugi's feeling of dread grow.

He gripped Yami's limp hand.

"Y-Y-Yami..." He whispered, on the verge of tears, "I miss you....I want you back...I'm so sorry...I did this to you..."

He went silent, the slow rate of the heart monitor the only sound along with his ventilation tube that opened and closed his lungs, mechanically making it possible for him to breath.

"I just...I just can't live without you..." Yugi said, "You...You makes everyone feel welcomed. You heal them all in one way or another but...I wish I could heal you the same."

Nothing happened to make it any better. Yugi clutched his hand.

"Yami..." He said, holding the hand to his lips and kneeling beside the bed.

He kissed it and rested the other hand on Yami's forehead, feeling the extremely hot surface from the billowing fever he had probably since he had first come in.

Nothing happened. Yami remained still.

Yugi blinked, a single tear falling and other tears filling his eyes. He stood, resting the hand across Yami's chest and leaned down over his sleeping, still face.

"Yami..." Yugi whispered, his tears finally falling, "I'll miss you...my...Mou Hitori...No Boku..."

He stopped down silently and kissed his bandaged forehead. He rested his hand on the top of Yami's head and sighed sadly. He caressed his bandages.

"I'm so sorry, Yami..." He whispered, finally separating from him.

He turned sadly, dreading the next day. Yami was unresponsive now.

What if he was unresponsive-

"Do............n't...........go.........." A voice struggled to rasp out.

Yugi stopped and turned.

And what he saw almost made him weep.