Chapter 6

Yami wiped the sweat away from his face as the young patient was wheeled out of the room after yet another successful operation. He watched as the friends from before chased after the gurney that held the patient.

He crossed his arms, slightly smiling, and his pounding heart finally slowing.

It had only taking a couple hours for the operation to complete, but this was one of those 'If you did something wrong, someone was gonna die' operations. And it was very rare for an operation such as that.

But luckily, it went rather well.

Yami removed his blue gloves and sighed, calming completely down from the bustle of the surgery.

"Alexis...was that your name?" He thought to himself, "You're fine...stay strong. I know you will. Your friends are right there and will stay there, and they will help you."

The only thing that bothered him about what he did was the coma. Her injuries had been as fatal as fatal could be and if they had not reached her when they did after her accident, she really would be paralyzed.

The only way for her wounds to heal completely was for all the strength of the body to go to the healing, and that meant sending her into a coma and shutting off all her organs and also putting her to sleep...for a couple months at the most.

He looked up right as Mahad put a hand on his shoulder, smiling thankfully.

"Yet another successful operation in the career or Yami Sennen!" He laughed, "This one was close, but you turned it around. Like always!"

"She's young." He said, "I couldn't just give up and let her die...she's too young for death."

Mahad slightly nodded.

"Wise words from a wise doctor." He said, "I'm glad this place took you in residency and soon upgraded you to surgeon. Since then, this place has had more positive ratings than ever! And that new apprentice of yours?"

Yami looked up at him, taking off his other glove and throwing it in a nearby garbage can.

"You better teach him well. The kid already is very promising." He said, "All you gotta do is give a few pointers, some bits of advice, and we'll have two awesome doctors that'll make this place a lot better!"

Yami slightly smiled and took off his mask.

"Yeah? Well, they also have doctors like you too." He shrugged, "They are easy going, but are easy to give up in surgery."

Mahad punched him playfully and let out a slightly loud laugh.

"Hey! That's not funny!" He playfully glared at his friend.

"Hey! That's the truth!" Yami shrugged, snickering playfully.

A slender nurse with brown hair walked up to them after putting away the tools and raised an eyebrow. She put her hands on her hips after removing her mask and looked at them.

"Guys." She teased, "This is an operation room. Not the lounge!"

"By the way, is it lunchtime yet?" Yami laughed, his stomach suddenly growling, "All this work and I wasn't able to eat much...I only had a muffin for breakfast and the apprentice stuff, then this has made me starved!"

"Well, let's see what time it is!" Mana shrugged, "I would guess it's around 3...maybe 3:29 at the most..."

"3...29?" Mahad's jaw dropped and he looked up from his watch, eyeing Mana.

Mana giggled and hit an exaggerated pose. "I got da powa!!" She laughed.

Yami laughed and slowly shook his head.

"Oh Mana..." Mahad slightly smirked.

Yami broke away from the group after a little more conversation and made his way to the lounge. He was extremely hungry and he really needed something to eat after the day he had been having.

But suddenly, he had another idea.

He wanted to see how the girl's friends were.

They had been traumatized during the surgery and had been convinced for quite a time that they were witnessing the death of their own friend. But then, Yami came and revived her, putting the surgery back on track and sending a very comforting wave their way.

He seemed pretty content with that part.

But he wanted to see how they were with the aftermath...he hadn't really looked back at them after those moments.

He had only turned the corner in the way of the girl's room when he was greeted by a blur of brown and tan and suddenly found himself in the middle of a hug.

"Doctor!!" A young boy seemed to say.

Yami was taken by surprise at first before he realized who this boy was. He was the boy from the surgery. Yami slightly smiled and hugged him back.

"Please. Just call me Yami." He reassured him, "Doctor is too formal."

The young boy looked at him and laughed, rubbing the back of his neck nervously.

"Sorry if I took you by surprise, but that was from me and all of my friends." He said, pointing back to an open door that Yami assumed was probably Alexis's own room, "They didn't really wanna leave her after the surgery and pretty much sent me off to find you."

Yami slightly tilted his head.

"Find me?" He asked, eyeing the boy, "Why did you kids want to find me?"

"To thank you of course!!" The boy smiled, "You practically saved our best friend's life back there! We were all pretty set on her death right there, but then you came and turned things around for her!!"

Yami smiled and ruffled his hair, slightly chuckling.

"You're a hero!!" The boy said, "A real hero!"

Yami was suddenly taken aback once more from the comment. He had worked here for a while and had had many operations that were very successful with many people coming up to him and calling him may things like 'guardian' or 'savior'.

But 'hero'?

That was the first time someone even classified him as one!

"Young boy, what's your name?" Yami smiled widely at him, "I can't address you properly if I don't know your name."

"Jaden Yuki, sir!!" The boy saluted playfully, "That is my name! But my friends just call me Jaden!"

"Well, at ease, Jaden" Yami chuckled, "I am just happy that you and your friends feel better and that you know that your friend Alexis is going to be fine."

Jaden hugged him again, smiling wider.

"Thanks again..." He said, "Yami."

Yami patted his back, smiling.

"It was the least I could do." He whispered back before separating.