Chapter 40

The entire room seemed to freeze as the doctors there hushed, their attention to the monitor. They are stood for what felt like an eternity.

Yugi tightened his grip on the gurney.

"C-Come on, Yami..." He muttered.

As though Yami heard him, the beeping came back, slow...extremely slow...

Yugi sighed, but was still tense.

It was better than no pulse at all. The entire team around him let out internal sighs of relief, Yugi being the most relieved out of all of them. Ishizu almost jumped.

"Okay. The heart's back." She said, "But we need to get those lungs. If we don't soon, he'd be done, heart or not."

Yugi nodded, getting back to work after wiping a bit of nervous sweat off of his forehead. Miho and Mai both gave each other high fives, grinning. Miho then looked into where Yugi and the other surgeons were working and paled all over again.

"Y-Yami's...lungs..." She muttered, her happiness vanishing.

Yugi looked at her.

"W-What is it?" Mai asked.

Yugi looked where Miho looked, tilting his head and suddenly paling, whiter than before.

"B-Both lungs have collapsed!" He said to the team around him.

"How bad??" A buff doctor across the table from Yugi questioned.

"Left lung is shriveled. Right lung is clogged!" Yugi replied, struggling to fight back the tears that returned to him.

Yugi looked through the window, seeing Mahad and Mana out there. Mahad told her what was going on, crying as well and holding her. He read their lips as they sobbed.

"He...He's s-supposed to..." Mana choked out, clutching Mahad, "B-Be okay!!"

"I...I know..." He silently cried with her, holding her closer than ever, "I know..."

"I...It's just..." Mana looked up at him, tears still increasing down her cheeks, "Wh-Why?? Why him?! HIM of all people!!"

Mahad shook his head sadly, Mana burying her face back into his chest and crying harder than before. Mahad silently cried and locked eyes with Yugi, shooting him a pleading look.

Yugi could only look away.

"S-So? What do we do??" The doctor repeated.

"Karim, give Yugi time to think." Miho said, walking back to Yugi's side, clearly shocked, but struggling to remain calm.

Yugi sighed sadly.

"W-We would insert a tube, but that would disturb the tube already placed within the pathway of heart!" He shook his head.

Karim let out a breath.

"Well, what about NOW??" He asked.

"Uh..." Yugi paled and looked down at the face once more.

"10 minutes!" Ishizu said, still on edge.

"Come on..." Mai said, "We can't lose Yami. We can't."

"Yugi?" Miho repeated to Yugi.

"Huh? I..." Yugi looked into the sleeping face of Yami, his eyes brimming with tears. He rubbed his head, frustrated, "I don't know..."

Mai hugged Yugi, as tense as he was.

"Look...I know how much you want to save him..." She whispered into his ear, "I know the odds are against it...but we'll do everything we can to help him."