Chapter Two

The steady knock on the old heavy wooden door of the flat alerted the man, who was trying to settle down with his morning cup of tea

The steady knock on the old heavy wooden door of the flat alerted the man, who was trying to settle down with his morning cup of tea. For a moment, he stood still in the hallway of his home, listening to the steady "thumping" noise that continued to shake his door. There was an internal debate as to whether he should answer it or not, but he knew if he didn't, there would only be more problems to follow up with. Setting his teacup down, Adelmo Abate, proceeded to make his way over to the front door, only to open it and watch as his younger sister, attempted to knock her head into it.

He stood there for a few moments and eventually, she realised she was no longer hitting anything, bringing the young woman to peer up.

"Renata, what are you doing here?" the man asked checking his watch. "Aren't you supposed to be at work right now?"

His sister's met his gaze and just in that brief second of time, he could already tell what the next words would be coming out of her mouth.

"I got fired again," Renata mumbled as her head hung in disappointment. "Just before I even walked into the shop, Mr Braskin told me to stay away and never come in again. I think I have a life ban on the place."

Several moments of silence passed and Adelmo had yet to say anything, as he tried to process the news while wondering just what his sister had done to lose her job at the Eeylops Owl Emporium. She had only been employed three days in total and Adelmo thought it had been a perfect fit.

"What did you do?"

The woman entered the flat, brushing by her brother and making her way into the living room where she flopped onto his sofa. She wouldn't meet his gaze as she spoke, already looking quite shameful.

"I was just trying to help, but it all went wrong. So wrong," she began as she dropped her face in her hands. "I stayed late last night, making sure that all the owls were fed, that their cages were clean, and that the shop had a decent smell to it. You can imagine how foul it smells in there with all the bird droppings. Well, one of the owls started making a fuss and Adelmo, you should have seen how sad it looked. So cramped up in these cages, I could tell he just wanted to move around-"

"Oh, Ren, please tell you didn't-"

"Since I was there, I let him out to fly around and stretch his wings for a bit. But then the other owls grew jealous and they wanted to join in as well. And if I was going to allow one of them to do it, I had to allow all of them, right?"

"No, not right, wh-"

"So, I let them all out of their cages and they just seemed so happy and content. When it came time for me to leave, I felt so bad with the idea of locking them up. I came up with the idea that I could leave them out for the night since I would be the one opening the shop this morning. But I guess Mr Braskins decided he was going to show up too and he showed up before I did...and well..."

Adelmo let out a heavy sigh as he ran his hand over the length of his face. His dark brows furrowed together, just trying to think of what possessed his sister to think it was a good idea to go through with such a plan? But then again, as he thought it over, he realised that he shouldn't have been that surprised. It was Renata he was talking about, his sister, who had quite the record of not keeping a proper job for a lengthy amount of time. Usually, her ideas or her heart got the best of her and it ended with something bad happening.