Chapter Twenty-Nine

After an eventful day with Harry, Ron, and Neville, it was clearly time for the playdate to come to an end as Neville and Ron were yawning consistently and on the verge of falling asleep

After an eventful day with Harry, Ron, and Neville, it was clearly time for the playdate to come to an end as Neville and Ron were yawning consistently and on the verge of falling asleep. It seemed Harry was the only one with the energy to keep going, but James figured it was time to call it a day. Leaving Harry in Renata's care, he scooped up the sleepy boys to bring them to their respective homes, claiming that he wouldn't be very long. When he left, Renata and Harry remained outside in the garden, Renata swinging lightly in the hammock, watching as Harry was busy collecting some of the flowers that Neville had watered back to life.

She heard the door to the Potter household open and figured that it was almost too soon for James to be back unless he dropped each child off and left without a word. She didn't think he would get away with such a thing, especially at the Burrow and her assumption was correct that he wasn't James, it was Sirius.

Since the issue with Adelmo had gone down, Sirius hadn't been around as much, James claiming that he was probably moping around dramatically in his flat. Normally, he would have interfered as  Renata suggested, but he informed her that Sirius liked to have a few days to himself. When he wanted attention, he would come around looking for it and he seemed he was right. 

Sirius walked through the home, his shoulders slouched until he came to the doorway and walked outside. His head hung low but he was able to make his way over to the area where Renata and Harry were. She was stupidly about to ask him how he was feeling, just to get a conversation going, however, Sirius didn't give her a chance as he flopped to the ground near the hammock.

"Pet me," he said to her, " I'm sad."

She watched as he morphed into a dog and proceeded to roll on his side while letting out pitiful whimpers.  Renata knew it wasn't the right time to laugh, but she couldn't help the smile that formed on her face. It really was true that Sirius was King of the Dramatic Arts and his actions at those moments were only evidence to help build a strong case. But she did feel terrible for him, she felt terrible for Adelmo as well. The situation was extremely complicated and it was no one's fault, except perhaps the fault of her parents.

They had been the ones that had made Adelmo feel ashamed of his feelings over the years, enough that he tried to hide how he truly felt. There he was, presented with an opportunity to be with someone that he found attractive and he was withdrawing himself because their parents had drilled it into his mind that it was "wrong." Then there was Sirius on the other end, someone who had found love and support, but had to suffer because the person he wanted wouldn't allow himself to be with him. 

It made Renata angry to think that despite being so far away from home that their parents still managed to control their lives in such ways. They were countries away and yet, it was like it didn't matter, Renata felt like she still lived under the household rules, and it was obvious that Adelmo felt the same.

Climbing out of the hammock swiftly, Renata lowered herself to sit in the grass and slowly began petting the top of Sirius' dog head. He allowed his head to come rest in her lap as his little whining came to an end.