Chapter Thirty-Nine

Able to put aside the discussion of a cult possibly being in play, James spent the majority of the evening with Renata on the sofa, allowing her to read

Able to put aside the discussion of a cult possibly being in play, James spent the majority of the evening with Renata on the sofa, allowing her to read. It didn't come across as very difficult to think of other things outside of Sirius' discovery, especially when Renata had her legs tangled with his as they laid together. She used his chest to keep the book propped up as she read quietly to herself until James requested that she read out loud to fill in the silence. She didn't seem to mind as his stroked her hair and occasionally, grazed his hand over her shoulder, completely unaware that his actions were actually soothing Renata to sleep.

Without warning at one point, the book fell over and Renata didn't make any attempts to pick it back up, leaving James to strain slightly to look down without disturbing her. He could see enough that her eyes were closed and paired with her slow breathing, it was safe to say that she had actually fallen asleep. He didn't think to move, remaining still and in place allowing her to sleep peacefully. Taking the book, James gently set it aside and rested his head back again, closing his own eyes.

Renata's body was warm against his, no need for any blankets as long as she remained in the same position with her arm draped over his chest. Her head continued to rest between the space of his neck and shoulder, allowing him to still play with her hair between his fingers. She hardly made any noises in her sleep and James found himself opening one eye every so often to make sure he could still see the rise and fall of her chest as she breathed.

The scent of her perfumed shampoo was relaxing, although James didn't have the slightest clue as to what it was. He remembered that Lily liked wearing rosewater that she actually made herself on some occassions, but that wasn't the scent that he was smelling. It wasn't floral and oddly enough, it didn't smell fruity either, the only thing he could describe it as was sweet and he definitely could settle for sweet.

With the combination of warmth and the comforting smell of her perfume, James found himself suddenly feeling extremely sleepy, even though he had been wide awake earlier. He had planned out an evening of cooking and maybe talking to Renata about her childhood, in hopes of bringing more information to light. However, she had fallen asleep rather quickly and he didn't find himself far behind.

Within just a few minutes, James fell asleep, both of his arms wrapped around Renata in some way as he turned his body slightly to face her. There was limited room on the sofa as it was slim in built and while both of them could have easily made it larger with the use of magic, they decided not to. It gave them an excuse to cuddle closer without them actually claiming that was what they were doing.

His fingers were still slightly tangled in her hair, the other hand resting on her hip while her hand had taken a light grip of his shirt in her sleep. If Sirius could have seen them at that moment, James was willing to bet money that his best friend would have snapped a picture and then held it to their faces while telling them that they could have achieved such moments sooner if they had just stopped doubting themselves so much. Of course, that was easier for him to say because Sirius was always the type of person that acted on what he wanted without fail.