Chapter Thirty-Three

For several moments, Renata stood in the doorway in between the kitchen and the outside, looking right at James as he remained standing in the grass

For several moments, Renata stood in the doorway in between the kitchen and the outside, looking right at James as he remained standing in the grass. The problem was, she wasn't sure if she had heard him correctly because the request that he blurted out was all jumbled together that it sounded like complete gibberish. However, the look on his face held such a hopeful approach as he waited for her answer. Turning completely to face him, Renata offered him a smile just to ensure him that whatever he asked she wasn't rejecting, she just needed to confirm what he said.

"What did you say?"

James' face fell because he had used up a great majority of his courage to ask her and she didn't even hear him, or rather she did, but she didn't understand. He was so nervous that she could see him visibly swallowing and while she wanted to approach the situation in a serious manner, it was difficult to do so with James covered in red nail varnish all over his toes and fingers. He looked ridiculous but to Renata, that made him even cuter at the moment if it were possible.

He took a deep breath and exhaled slowly through his nose before he peered up at her again.     "I asked if you would like to go to dinner with me tonight?"

Almost instantly, Renata's smile grew especially as she felt her heart leap in her chest. She had to question if he was really asking her or if she had entered another one of her dreams that morning. Although she didn't really care because even if it was a dream, she was going to make the most of it.

"Yes!" she answered with equal excitement despite trying to keep a calm tone. That entire morning she had felt terrible, thinking that her chances with James became nothing in such a short period of time. But there he was, asking to take her to dinner and that filled her with enough hope to evoke happiness to return.

"G-g-great," James replied, his voice cracking but a grin appearing on his face. He looked rather relieved that she had agreed to it.

"Will Harry be joining us?"

"Uh no," he said, not sure if that was going to be a problem. Did she not see it as a date invitation, did she see it more as a family outing in a sense? " Sirius said he had a lot of fun with Harry last night, so he was hoping for more time. And seeing as I ruined last night's dinner-"

"Mr Potter, you didn't ruin last night's dinner," she told him, " believe me. You actually did extremely well with all the cooking. You browned the meat perfectly and you created a perfect duxelle, you should be proud of yourself."

His face turned warm from her compliments, but that wasn't exactly the point he was getting at. "Well, it would have been a lot nicer if we had actually been able to finish and sit down to eat the food. Since that didn't happen because I decided to throw back several glasses of wine, I just wanted to make it up to you. So I promise you a really nice dinner and I also promise that I will not touch any glass unless there is water in it."

Renata chuckled with a slight nod of her head. "Alright, Mr Potter, I'll hold you to that. What time are we looking at?"

"Seven?"