Chapter Four

Renata believed that it was partially her fault that James had walked away with a visibly upset look on his, although she wasn't sure what she had done

Renata believed that it was partially her fault that James had walked away with a visibly upset look on his, although she wasn't sure what she had done. Minutes before he had been laughing, just like his son, and then as he stood before everyone, there was a change to where he looked absolutely broken on the inside. She didn't know if it was in good taste to tell him that she was sorry for the loss of his late wife, some time had gone by since the incident, but she didn't know an ounce of the pain that James carried.

Turning to James' friend, Sirius, she continued to hold Harry in her arms as the child was sound asleep. Enzo was at her feet, keeping a protective eye on Renata to make sure that no one pulled any sort of funny business on his watch. He especially kept his eye on Sirius as he and Renata engaged in a conversation.

"I'm really sorry if I've made him upset," she apologised, knowing she had a tendency to do such a thing, " it really wasn't my intention to do so."

"No, you didn't make him upset," Sirius informed her, taking a moment to reassure Renata that nothing of what was taking place was her fault, " in fact, you should be proud of yourself. You actually managed to make him laugh, I haven't heard that in awhile."

It was true, Sirius knew that his friend was in grieving and in mourning, Sirius was still feeling it all as well. The ending of the war had come as such a blow to everyone fighting in it, some days, it was harder to come with reasons to smile when one could only think of all the pain they had gone through. For James, he had lost the love of his life and the more he dwelt on the idea of losing Lily, the more he believed that he had lost her long before her death. He carried the blame as if he were punished to carry the entire weight of the world on his shoulder.

There were days where Sirius would arrive at the Potter's home, only to find James going over all the things he could have done differently to ensure the safety of his family and the ones he cared about. He placed Lily's death on himself, even though Sirius had told him multiple times that it wasn't his fault. In fact, between James and Harry, they were the heroes of the war and people knew that. It was James who had discovered who was the traitor among the group and had saved so many from experiencing a life full of pain and even saved some from death.

It was Harry who had been left at the scene as the sole survivor of an attack brought on by the dark wizard, Voldemort. There was a lot to be celebrated about being in the presence of the two Potters, even if James didn't really think so. Day in and day out, the man was beating himself up over things that were out of control and it left him to just become miserable.

For the sake of Harry and even his friends, James tried to keep a smile on his face, but it wasn't exactly genuine. It was a forced smile and Sirius knew it all too well because, from the time that they were boys, Sirius had witnessed the smile and laughter of James Potter. He damn well knew what a genuine smile and laugh looked and sounded like.

"And you made this little one happy," Sirius continued as he nodded his head in the direction of Harry, " and that's what truly matters to James at this point."