Chapter Sixty-Five

Unsure of how much time she had before any suspicions were raised, Renata stood in the doorway of the root cellar, keeping the wand firmly in her hand as she removed the chains from her wrists and ankles

Unsure of how much time she had before any suspicions were raised, Renata stood in the doorway of the root cellar, keeping the wand firmly in her hand as she removed the chains from her wrists and ankles. Unfortunately, the chains had left their marks on her wrists and ankles by rubbing her skin raw where she had been pulling numerous times. Her robes weighed heavy on her body from the water her mother poured over her repeatedly. She was cold, exhausted, and her body was incredibly sore, leaving her to lean outside of the cellar to catch her breath. It was bright outside and she needed a moment for her vision to adjust to the sunlight.

But at the same time, she didn't have a lot of time and she knew that, at the sign of anything going wrong, her parents would return and she was fighting with a wand that wasn't her own. Somehow she needed to get her wand back and as she stood there, healing her wrists, she figured out just exactly what she was going to do.

"Alright, Renata," she coached herself, " look alive."

With the use of the wand, she fixed her robes to appear almost brand new, she fixed her hair from it's horrible "drowned rat" appearance, and she made sure that she was bright-eyed and looked refresh. After all, her parents were practically having her be reset every time she did something wrong, Renata assumed if that was the case, they always restored her to her former "glory" so that she didn't become suspicious of the activity.

Checking out her reflection in a small puddle of water, Renata was satisfied enough that she didn't look like she had been tortured for however long. It would have to do, she needed to get her wand, find Adelmo before any harm came to him, and then she needed to find James and Sirius before they got furthered involved in the mess. They were all outnumbered with eyes and ears practically everywhere in Italy, making the whole country a bit of a danger.

It was probably why James and Renata had been interrupted so quickly, they had barely been given a chance to reconcile or for Renata to remember things properly before she was taken away. The last thing she wanted was for James and Sirius to get her after it had been her fault in the first place that they had all ended in Italy. She had foolishly placed her guard down back in Adelmo's flat when she spotted her mother standing in the kitchen area.

Her concern had been for Enzo at the time, believing that the dog was severely hurt, when in reality, Alcina had only stunned the dog. Everything was calculated to make it look like Renata had done things and left on her own accord. Enzo was planted on the sofa, to make it look like he had been asleep when Adelmo arrived home, meanwhile, she had been forced down at the kitchen table, probably under the Imperius Curse to write down a letter explaining why she had suddenly up and left during the night.

Thankfully, she could tell that the people who truly cared about her, could see right through the lies of the letter, which explained why they were there. It was a rescue trip but a dangerous one and Renata didn't like the idea of James placing himself in danger, especially since it probably took so much for him to leave Harry behind.