Chapter Nine

It was a joyous occasion for James to see Harry having fun as the day spent at the Burrow proved to be quite successful

It was a joyous occasion for James to see Harry having fun as the day spent at the Burrow proved to be quite successful. The children decided to round Renata up for a game of hide-and-seek for most of the day, making her actively, the Seeker. But Harry and Ron joined her to seek the other children out, all of them bursting into giggles whenever they were found somewhere around the home or outside. And near the end, Bill and Charlie, Molly's oldest sons, managed to convince James to play a bit of Quidditch match with them. It mainly consisted of throwing back a homemade quaffle back and forth, but it was entertaining enough.

For a few stolen moments in time, James was able to enjoy himself, able to forget the thoughts that were plaguing him on a daily basis and just relax. He was able to see his son enjoy himself, he was able to see that Molly was still able to carry on as a strong woman despite her double losses within her family, and he was able to see that there were many things to be celebrated after the war.

Molly invited them all to stay for dinner, which James tried to get out of but she convinced him otherwise. Harry, of course, had tired himself out from the day of being chased around by chickens and a rooster, playing hide-and-seek, and just overall, having a good time. As James entered the Burrow, he found his son sound asleep in Renata's arms. She was sitting on the overstuffed sofa in the Weasley living room, remaining still as Harry's head came to rest on her chest, his little hand holding the front of her jumper. And nestled into her side was Ron as he had fallen asleep as well, remaining close to his newest friend's side.

"I have a feeling that these two are going to become inseparable for years to come," James whispered as he made his way over and sat across from her on a footstool.

"You missed it earlier," Renata told him, " Harry was trying to teach Ron the Hogwarts School song, it was absolutely precious. I can definitely see them becoming good friends and then imagine their adventures in Hogwarts."

James smiled slightly, it was nice to think of Harry going off to Hogwarts, only bittersweet to think that Lily wouldn't be there to witness it. Shaking his head, James tried to think of happier thoughts, not wanting to drag the mood down. It had been a good day and he didn't want to dampen spirits with his own troubled thoughts.

But when he looked up again, he could see that Renata was watching him, a troubled expression on her own face as if she could hear the thoughts that travelled through his mind. Little did he know that while she couldn't see into his head, James wore all of his emotions on his face very easily. She could see the pain in his eyes, not fooled by the smile he forced onto his face.

Mainly because Renata was an Empath as discovered when she was very young, mostly by her professors and others that she came into contact with. But it was her brother, Adelmo, that had figured out the coined term for what she was. Renata from a very early time in her life had always been able to pick up on the emotions around her, no matter who the person was. She could feel the happiness of their energy or the draining nature of their sadness. She could easily be overwhelmed by anger, even if it wasn't directed towards her.