Chapter Fifty

Throughout the night after showering and getting dressed, James held Renata especially close as they slept

Throughout the night after showering and getting dressed, James held Renata especially close as they slept. At some points, they would roll away from one another, finding their own comfortable position for a couple of hours, but eventually, they would make their way back to each other. It was hands down, the best night of sleep that James remembered ever having and everything had placed him in such a peaceful mindset that he didn't need to dream to enjoy his night. Instead, when Renata turned back into him in her sleep, he would wrap his arms around her and hold onto her tightly. 

And sometimes, when his back was facing her, Renata's arm would drape over his waist and she would spoon him, which was oddly comforting. James had never experienced being the "little spoon" but as it turned out, he actually really liked it.  However, their sleeping arrangements left him slightly confused the next morning when he woke up to being poked directly in the middle of his face.

He stirred and even without his glasses on, he could see the image of Ron, sitting on his side of his bed. Despite his eyes being open and looking right at the little red-head, Ron continued to poke him.

"Ron, what are you doing?" James groaned, finally lifting his hand to block Ron's finger. Ron didn't say anything but he didn't need to as James felt a kick in his back. As he was startled, he sat up in the bed and looked over to see that Harry and Neville had also climbed into the bed at one point without him knowing.

Harry was tucked in the middle, one hand holding onto the fabrics of his father's shirt, while the other had a loose grip of Renata's hair. James didn't see Neville initially but as he leaned over, he could see that with Renata resting on her side, she had her arm wrapped around Neville as the boy peacefully slept facing her.

"Was kicking Renata out of her own bed not enough for you three last night, " James began with a small laugh, " that you all had to come and invade this one?"

James pushed himself up, thinking that Ron was awake for the day and figured he had to get him some breakfast, however, as soon as he sat up, Ron climbed over into his spot and laid down with a content smile. Apparently, he was only after James' spot for the warmth as he pulled the blanket over him and closed his eyes.

With James out of his spot, he was left to stand at the side of his bed with a surprised look, not believing for a few seconds that he had been tricked by a little one. Yet, there was no point in fighting Rong at the time, seeing as it would probably lead to waking up the other three. Shaking his head, James left the room and closed the door over to prepare himself some coffee and think about whether he would start making breakfast or not.

He was just about to make a grab for his wand when there was a knock at the door, leaving him slightly confused as he wasn't expecting any company. As he made his way to the door, he assumed that it was probably Sirius, but instead, as he opened it up, he was pleasantly surprised to see Remus.

"Moony!" James greeted with a smile. "You're home, I...I didn't know you were coming back. The last letter I got from you, you were just settling in the colony. Is everything alright? Are you okay?"