Chapter Thirty-Four

With Sirius basically booting them out the front door to get a move on, Renata and James found themselves outside of the flat and the door closed over in their faces

With Sirius basically booting them out the front door to get a move on, Renata and James found themselves outside of the flat and the door closed over in their faces. Left on the steps, the two were quiet for a couple of seconds, trying to establish what had just happened, when they heard knocking from the window off to the side. They looked over to see Sirius and Harry in the window waving at them and eventually, Sirius motioned for them to leave. Able to take the hint, James offered his arm to Renata and waited for her to link hers with his before they made their way down the stairs.

He had the perfect idea of where he wanted to take Renata to dinner, he just hoped that she liked the location when they arrived or it was going to be extremely awkward. However, Renata never came off as a picky person, she often presented herself as easy-going and just able to go with whatever was taking place. So he was feeling a bit more confident in his decision to make the choice for them, rather than ask where she wanted to go. Surprisingly enough, she had yet to ask where they were going, appearing rather content as she walked beside him on the pavement.

She really did look beautiful that night and James had wanted to tell her that earlier, but with Sirius and Harry right there during the moment, he had just entered a panic when he said "yes." Renata didn't say anything though, keeping the smile on her face, although she was probably thinking something similar to whatever Sirius was thinking at the time.

"I really like that dress you're wearing," he said finally as they walked on, the flat disappearing as he led her around a corner. His voice was quiet, sounding quite timid as he didn't want to say the wrong thing when it came to compliments. Thinking back to the compliments he had come up when it came to Lily, he could just feel the secondhand embarrassment wash over him for his past self. 

He had written horribly cheesy poems to Lily, trying to rhyme the colour of her red hair with things, tried to come up with verses about the colour of her eyes, and looking back they were all terrible. Leaving the dramatics aside for the evening, he wasn't going to come up with a poem on the spot for Renata, he was going to keep his compliments simple, but let her know that he truly meant what he said.

"Thank you," Renata replied as she looked over at him, " Sirius picked it out for me."

Suddenly, James snorted and Renata waited to hear what was so funny as she couldn't help but crack a grin.

"Well, it seems he dressed both of us for the occasion," he told her, " he picked out my clothes too. We really just became his dolls for the night, didn't we?"

"Apparently, but you have to admit," she began, " he really does have great taste. You look really handsome, not that you didn't look good before I mean...wait, I mean..."

James felt his heart flutter in his chest as she mentioned that she found him to be handsome and it wasn't only limited to that evening. He watched as she fumbled over her words, probably nervous in her own way and embarrassed that she had blurted it out so quickly. Not that he minded one bit if anything, the doubt of her liking him in return was fading and James found himself feeling practically giddy at the idea.