Chapter Seventy-Five

If anyone told James Potter that months and months ago that he would find himself in the situation of caring for a woman that he had fallen madly in love with, he would have deemed them mad and brushed them off

If anyone told James Potter that months and months ago that he would find himself in the situation of caring for a woman that he had fallen madly in love with, he would have deemed them mad and brushed them off. The thought of him loving anyone outside of Lily had never been a thought to cross his mind before and the idea that he could actually move on with his life after the war was something he never saw coming. But it had all happened and was still in the process of happening because every day, he seemed to fall in love with Renata Abate a little more.

Even though it was under the conditions that she was in hospital recovering from a horrible ordeal, he found himself looking forward to every visit to see her. Some days, she wasn't in the best of moods but that was okay because there had been days where he wasn't in the greatest of moods either and she had still remained at his side. They kept each other company and even helped each other with the little things that they failed to notice.

Such as Renata fixing Harry's shirt when he came in wearing it inside out because James had dressed him too fast or her pulling out pieces of food out of his hair that Harry had thrown during a breakfast adventure. Or such as the time where Renata complained that she was having trouble sleeping at night because she hated being alone in the room.

James knew that feeling all too well and to accommodate her needs, he brought in his mint green jumper that she liked and Harry had brought in one of his teddies that he was willing to part with temporarily for her to use. Sometimes she would wear the jumper, other times she would cuddle it along with the teddy bear, but either way, they allowed her to get to sleep at night. It was all the little things that they did for each other that made the passing days grow easier.

Harry played his role too, especially that morning as he climbed into James' bed and shook his father's arm until he stirred from his slumber. Thinking something was wrong, James immediately sat up and looked around, only to see Harry in his pyjamas staring at him as he held onto one of his toys. Glancing over in the direction of his alarm clock, James could see that it was eight o'clock in the morning, right on the dot.

"Harry, what are you doing up right now?" James yawned as he rubbed his eyes. "Did you have a bad dream?"

Shaking his head, Harry grinned before standing up on the bed with a proud look that definitely gave everyone a much-needed reminder that he was, in fact, the son of James Potter.

"Harry maked breakfast for Mummy!"

Confused at first as to what Harry was saying, James narrowed his eyes for a moment, only until it registered past his sleepy state that Harry was telling him that he had made breakfast for Renata. It seemed like a very sweet gesture, enough that it brought James to smile until he wondered just what exactly did a three-year-old attempt to make for breakfast without any adult supervision?

Immediately, James jumped out of bed, lifting Harry into his arms who squealed in delight thinking they were playing some sort of game. He raced out into the kitchen to find that Harry had set out a pot of water on the kitchen table and with all the vegetables that had been left out on the counter, he had placed them in. There were whole potatoes, florets of broccoli and cauliflower, large amounts of the spices that Harry had been able to open on his own.