Chapter Fifty-One

The world of glasses was a completely new world for Renata because no one in her family, not even the elderly had ever worn glasses that she could remember

The world of glasses was a completely new world for Renata because no one in her family, not even the elderly had ever worn glasses that she could remember. However, according to James, due to the Potter family curse that consisted of messy hair and poor eyesight, it seemed it was going to lead to the inevitable for Harry. Of course, since she had noticed him squinting before, she couldn't help but notice every time he did it and she hoped that the eye doctor would be able to ease the strain on Harry's eyes.

Unfortunately, magic could not change the genetic disposition and any wand around the eyes was just asking for trouble. It was one of the few areas where muggles were superior in their practice and fortunately, the eye doctor they were about to visit was a muggle-born. An alumnus from Hogwarts that did not wish to pursue a magical career but rather provide a service that seemed unsolvable among the magic folk. After Sirius had dropped off Ron at the Burrow, he joined Renata and Harry as James would not be present for the first appointment.

Harry didn't have a sense that anything out of the ordinary was going to happen as he remained alert but quite happy to be in the company of Sirius and Renata.

"At least if he needs glasses, he'll be getting them earlier than later," Sirius said, " he'll be used to them before the time he starts school. Poor James didn't start having to wear his until fifth year and fought it like hell. It wasn't until Professor McGonagall told him that she was going to permanently transfigure them to his face that he wore them regularly."

"Why didn't he want to wear the glasses in the first place?" Renata asked in a confused tone. "I mean, they were designed to help his eyes."

"Because he thought they ruined his chances with Lily at the time," Sirius replied, feeling a little sense of awkwardness creeping up on them. I think Snivellus had something to do with that, claiming that James wouldn't be able to see his way out of a duel, so he was destined to be a failure."

As the two were sitting around in the waiting room waiting for the eye doctor to be available, Renata gave a shake of her head.

"So this Snivellus person, who was he exactly?"

"A raging arsehole," Sirius growled before Renata gave him a look for using such language in front of Harry. Although Harry wasn't paying any mind to what they were talking about as he was too busy flipping through a book that had been left on a table.

"Sorry," he added quickly, " but it was true. It's still true. It went back to before the term even started in the first year. We were all on the train and James made the claim that he wanted to be in Gryffindor, you know, like his father. Well, there goes Snape, rolling his eyes, as if James had said the worst thing on the face the Earth and then tells James that it's all fine if he wants to be in Gryffindor if he prefers brawns over brains."

"None of you even knew each other, why would they take to fighting so soon?"

"Let me tell you about Snivellus, no one was ever allowed to be around Lily, except for him. Anyone that came around was viewed as a threat to their "friendship" or whatever the hell you want to call it. He saw James as a threat from day one because well, it's James. Lily didn't dislike him on the train ride, she only grew to really dislike him the longer she spent in his company. I mean, don't get me wrong, James wasn't innocent and I wasn't either. But Lily used to make Snivellus out to be this sort of saint and it used to drive all of us mad."