Chapter Forty-One

"You know, most people I know are usually happy when their mother claims she's coming for a visit," James began after several moments of passing silence where neither he nor Adelmo said anything, " but you don't look thrilled at all

"You know, most people I know are usually happy when their mother claims she's coming for a visit," James began after several moments of passing silence where neither he nor Adelmo said anything, " but you don't look thrilled at all."

Renata was still resting on the sofa and if one hadn't been aware of the events that had taken place before they would have never suspected anything was wrong as she looked like she was just taking a nap at the time. However, with Sirius gone to collect Harry, James had the opportunity to talk to Adelmo one on one and he wanted answers. He saw the expression on Adelmo's face, the worried look, paired with how tightly the man was gripping the letter in between his hands.

"I haven't spoken with my mother in a while," Adelmo admitted quietly, " and if Renata is under enough stress that it's triggering night terrors and whatever this state is with her phobia, I don't think a visit from our mother is the best thing as of right now."

"Why?"

James wasn't trying to be rude, he didn't really want to invade the privacy of the Abate family and all their problems, but at the same time, he was so incredibly worried about Renata that he honestly didn't care if he came across as rude or insensitive at the time. He wanted to know what he needed to know in order for him to help in any possible way that he could.

It was unfortunate that Renata had been fine up until the point where they had started dating and now all the problems seemed to be unravelling themselves. Life was cruel in many ways, James had firsthand experience with that, however, hadn't he suffered enough? He had lost so much in such a short period of time, but he was on the path back to happiness, but there was a rather nasty detour where the woman who had helped him discover the path back was suddenly facing her own troubles.

It wasn't fair, not to James, not to Renata and not to all the possible people that were involved in whatever was taking place. James didn't want to think that he had stumbled across a cult or its victims, but there was so much to assume with only a little bit of information.

"I don't think you understand our family very well, James," Adelmo told him as he set the letter aside for a moment. "I'm not sure how much Renata has told you, but I do not get along with my parents very well. They don't support who I am and because of that, I left home."

"I thought you left to take the job at St Mungo's," James said, " you were a renowned Healer, one of the youngest."

"Yes, St Mungo's had been pursuing my employment back when I was in Italy, but originally I wasn't going to take the job. I was going to work in my home country, but I never really felt comfortable knowing that what I felt inside was wrong. I couldn't face my parents with those feelings. I remained for Renata's sake, I remained until she went into her Auror training and then I took the job."

"So you left Italy and you came here," James made his way over to sit down on the arm of the sofa, near Renata's head, placing one of his hands to rest on the top of her hair. "Then what?"