Chapter Sixty-Four

Confined to darkness long after the flame in the lantern died out, Renata couldn't tell how long she had been stuck in the root cellar as she lost all sense of time

Confined to darkness long after the flame in the lantern died out, Renata couldn't tell how long she had been stuck in the root cellar as she lost all sense of time. After her body recovered from the Cruciatus Curse, meaning after the chills faded and her heart rate steadied to a normal pace, Renata became overwhelmed with exhaustion. However, she pushed herself to remain awake and focused on the picture of Harry. It was the only thing that kept her mind focused or else she would enter a state of panic. There was no telling what her parents had in store for her, and after battling it out with her mother, Renata was certain that Alcina was going to have little to no mercy when she returned.

There had never been a case of someone being able to actually block the Cruciatus Curse once they were struck with it and she had never heard of anyone breaking out from the curse unless they were released. Her mother probably knew that as well and she seemed well-versed with the Unforgivable Curse which left her somewhat baffled. After the most recent visit with Alcina, Renata would admit that she didn't look to her mother as an outstanding role model as she once did, but her mother had fallen from grace and hit an all-time low with what she was doing.

It seemed Sirius and James were right with their assumptions and findings, what her family was involved in was cult-like, but it was so much worse, at least, in her mind. They had infiltrated the Ministry, hospitals, schools, and law enforcement, all of them were under the corruption, leaving Renata with limited areas of where she could turn. Where she would turn for help, there was no telling if they were part of the "perfect order" or not.

But she was still in disbelief over the entire matter, not to say that she didn't believe it was happening because she was living through it, but how it was all coming to light after she reached adulthood, left her baffled. There was no telling how long it had been going on, from what she could infer, it was several decades and probably longer than that. The "society" was beyond the idea of blood supremacy, they were attempting to become the overall supremacy around the world. They wanted perfection and anyone who stepped out of the boundaries was punished and then altered to fit the mould.

It was sickening and Renata would have assumed that her parents would take no part in such things, but how wrong she was. Not only did they take to altering her and Adelmo's memories, they had done worse things as a source of punishment and made them forget about it. From her earlier memory of watching Adelmo being dragged out of the room by his hair, he had no recollection of that and Renata was terrified of finding out what they had truly faced in their childhood.

Especially Adelmo since he was considered the troublesome one, somehow even if Renata acted on her own accord, it was blamed on her brother. It made her wonder how many times Adelmo had suffered from something she had done without realising that he was going to pay for it. She shuddered to think about it and wondered where her brother was currently. How long had she been in Italy? How long had it taken for James to find her?

She exhausted her mind with all the questions racing through it and as the light faded in the cellar, she folded the photograph of Harry and held onto it in her palm as she allowed her eyes to close.