1

The walls in the basement of the orphanage were white. The bed was white and so was your gown. You lived in the basement all by yourself. A punishment from your childhood that was never lifted. Down in the basement with you was a small bathroom which was apart of the room as a whole. The only thing that separated the bathroom from the rest of the dusty space was different colored tile.

The only person you had contact with was the owner who you were taught to call Momma. Back when you were five years old she sentenced you to live in the basement because she didn't like you. You had been loud and never stopped crying and that apparently was too much for her to handle.

So, to the basement you were sent. Your arms and legs were bruised from days of being in trouble for one thing or another.

There you spent your days staring at the white walls. No thoughts, head empty. 

Knock Knock

Hearing the knock at the door you stood up and stood in front of your bed with your hands behind your back. You watched as the door swiftly opened and Momma stepped in. You could hear foot steps behind her. 

"Y/n, we are gonna come down with you today alright dear?" Momma said in a tight voice. Children of various ages began to flood in. She looked strained and worried. As she rushed everyone in to the small space you began to panic and become overwhelmed. 

"Why? Why is everyone coming here today?" You questioned. You were freaking the fuck out.

"Just shut up already you impudent child." She whispered screamed. Swiftly she walked over and grabbed you by the arm pulling you closer to her height. She was awkwardly tall. So tall in fact that she had to stoop down to enter every room she came in. "Just shut the fuck up and sit down with everyone else." She whispered. She threw you to the ground and forced you to sit with everyone else. 

Your arm began to feel sore from the grip she previously had on you. Without warning a small girl grabbed your hand.

"Shhh Mamma says people are here to take us away and kill us." The little girl whispered so quietly you almost didn't hear her. Mamma quickly ran to the door and closed it.

"Children, I'm  going to turn the light out. Be quiet or they will come to kill us." She whispered flicking the light out. The basement was so dark that you couldn't see your own hand in front of your own face. 

Suddenly quick heavy thumps could be heard on the wooden floor above you all. The little hand in yours began to squeeze tighter and tighter by the moment. You could feel your breathing become tighter and tighter. 

"There's nothing here. It doesn't seem abandoned though. Get ready to sweep the perimeter." You heard a deep voice shout above your heads. The room was full of small stressed breathing. Why would these people kill you all? 

Do you even want to be alive? Could you finally be free and could you set others free? Without enough forethought you screamed louder than you have ever shouted in your life. It was a noise so loud you had scared yourself.

"WE ARE IN THE BASEMENT!" You shrieked.

Suddenly something hit you. A body had flung onto you. Repeatedly you were hit. The arms, the legs, the stomach, and finally as the final blow hit your head the door flew into the room. Light flooded the room for a moment but then everything went dark. 

You could no longer feel anything. It was blissful.

 Nothing was more comforting then being away from Momma.