+43+

Balloons POV

Suitcase and I were spending time together in her room. I sit in a bean bag chair she has in the corner of her room.

"My mom doesn't come home that often, so I'm usually by myself," Suitcase leans on the wall next to her window, "She has a really busy job."

"I can imagine," I sigh, looking out the window, "single mom. She seems nice, though."

"She is, don't worry." She grins.

"So, what did happen between you and Nickel? You never really explained." She drops the smile, looking out the window.

"I..." she thinks for a moment, "It's honestly kind of stupid.."

"If you don't want to talk about it, it's fine."

"N-no I should.." she sighs, "I should talk about it. It's been eating me alive ever since I moved here." She moves to her bed and sits down, "I had an older brother, and he and Nickel were 'friends', but it wasn't very stable, honestly. On and off fighting, you know?"

I nod, listening.

"Anyways, their group of friends would go down to this river a lot, and do who knows what, some drug or something, but something went... w-wrong," she started choking up, "D-during the end of fall, m-my brother fell in t-the river and h-he... froze to death."

I blink, shocked. Her brother is dead? Oh god..

"N-Nickel and most of his friends just laughed until they realized something was wrong, and they still did nothing and ran back home, pretending to not have seen anything.. a few of them came to our old house and informed my dads about what happened.. then I was taken away.."

I interrupt, "W-wait, taken away?"

"Oh, right, I-I'm adopted. We were abandoned and then adopted before I can remember. My brother remembered, though."

"Oh my god, Suitcase... no wonder you're mad.." I get up, walking over to comfort her.

"And he has the audacity to pretend nothing happened!" She yelled, clearly upset.

"T-take it easy on him, I-I'd want to forget, too.." I try to reason with her, "I know it must be rough, but everyone faces their own challenges, whether it's visible or not.."

"I know, but he could be a bit more... a-apologetic! Instead, he chooses to be violent..people are jerks.."

"You said it.." I say, wrapping my arm around her shoulder, "w-we'll be ok, though." She sighs, laying her head on my shoulder. I feel a tingle of warmth.

'You can't help her' my thoughts interrupt the feeling. I sink back into numbness, wondering if what I'm doing is right. I take my arm off of her, moving it down and holding her hand. She smiles, and then lays back on the bed. I fall back, too, trying to ignore the interrupting thoughts.

.͕̜.̻͇̖͚.̳̜̲̺͞k͢͏̱͈̬͕̝̼ͅͅe̴̳̦̱ḙ̶̡̪͙̬̝͠w͇͚ ͏̹̗̙̟̗t̞̣̖̙̞x͏͚͉̘͉̱͙͍̟ȩ̷͍̝̱̙̮̟̣̣̖͢N̨̨͔̱̩̜͖̻̖̹͔
̡̛̞̼̰͈͙̦̺͕?͔̞̪͔̕͢t̶̙̻̱͙͢h̥̺̀g̵̳͚̤͙͉̘̺̜͟i҉̵̜̝̹̟̰̲͞ń̨̤͖͖̤̖̘̕ͅd̢͎͔͎̀͢i̬̦ḿ̷̫̙̮͓͖͇͈ ͏̼̯͈̫͉t҉̝ͅa͚͓̤͈͎͖ ҉̻̼͔̻̲͉̤͜y҉̤̘͉͘a̯̮̙͔̜͕̥̙͜͡d̨̘̺s̶͓ṛ̢̮̰̖͉̤̮̗̝͘u̶͍̩̩̗̩͜h̼̮͕̪͚͘͠T͙͕͙͞
̵̡̝̟̥̹͕͝.̶̨̪̗͓.͍̘͎̲̰͞͠s̹͉̤͙u҉̷͉͈̟̖̹̙̳̦o҉͎͈͕̭ì̛̘c̵͓̫̮̤̙͔i̞̟̰̼̳p̫̭̭͝ś̶͖͖͚͖͉͓͕ú̬̖͎̗s͏̹͓͖͕͠ ̯̜̼̀o̼͚͎͖o͏̶̱̱͉̻̪T̴̹͉̤̳͙͘
̧̱͜.͙͔̦̺̝r͕͍̻͎̻̦̀͝e̵̩t͍͚̀͘t͚̤͚̳̭͔̰̖e̷̟̼͍̟͙̠̥̹͇b̵̙̦͉̫̦̲̕͡ ̟͔͚͎̬͈̀s̭̩͇͘̕i̢͚͕͇͢ͅ ̟͔̖̲̯͞ḽ̶o҉̮͖̦̰͇̬̥̬͟o̸̷͖̙̪̩͉̜̕ͅh͘҉̻̣̩c̴̱̞͡s̞̹̥̬̭͔͠ ̣̭̪̳r̛̲͎͍̙͖͔̪ȩ̷͖͉̹͇̱͜t͈̱͖͍͇f̵̛̼̘̯̗A̤̣̩̻̖͟

L̨̨̨̪̫͙̯͍̪̥̮̟͔̰̟͖͕̘̬͓ͯ̑̀͑̍ͩ̂ͩ͘͝i̸̸̢͎̩̟̙̬̙̰̞̤͔̐͒ͪ͋̒ͨ̈̔͘͠ḛ̸͎͈̫̖̦͇͈̤̫̻̠̪̰̘ͨ̃̇̈ͯ͆̚̕͠͡͞ͅ ̑̀̿ͩͨͪͪ̒ͤͨ̀̒ͥͪ͏̮͈̯͎̭̭̫͜ͅͅͅm̵̸̛͎͈̼̥̪͍̦̻̜̳̠͖̥̣̍ͥ̈ͯ̄ͫ̄͌̈ͬ͛͑̔ͅy̷̡͎̺̬ͦ̽͒ͧ̐̓͐̅ͨͯ̈́̉͋̏̄ͭ́͛͒ͅ ̡̯̻̟̫̥̺̞̄ͣ̅̂͜͞͡͞w̸̼̗̱͈͕̤̭͙̝̾̅ͪ̒́͞a̡̨̛̹͉̖̘͖̖͚̻̳̬̺̤̒ͧͥͣ̃ͅͅy̴̢̠̳̩̲͎̻͖͋ͭ̊ͭͭ̒͛ͦ̓͜ ̷̧͉͍̫̻̻̍̃ͩ͊͢t̷̢̧͓͇̞̙̟̻̆͒̐̆̿̎ͥ͐ͫ̊̋̔ͧ͊ͤͧ̃͢o̡̨̘̯̘̦̯̩̤͇̘̱̾̋̋̾̉̈́ͯ̍̓͂ͤͩͫͪ̒ͨ̚͞͡͝ ̡̠͙̹̠͉̬̂̌͌̈̕f̵̧͎̹̱͎̪̜̫̭̰͉͙͔̝͖̖̃ͥ̏ͮ͋͞r̵͛́ͣͦͯͨͥͯ͊́ͣ̃̍͏̰̝̜͖̪͙̦̗̞ͅḛ̴̥̣̩̝̼́̈́̌ͧͨ̋̑̂̈́ͯ͊̎ͧ͌ͤ̀̕̕͢ḛ̡̧̢̺̩͔͎̳̠͔ͭ̽̒ͣ̉̌͂́͠dͧͮ̾ͣͫͩ̌̌͠͏̬̫̳̜͉̜͇̹͉̘̪ͅͅͅṍ̿ͫ͏̨̨̣̝̜̗̙͎͞m̵̷̦͇͇̯͖̼͕̟͚̫̹̟̦̱̼͐̍̆͒̇̍ͅ