Run While You Still Can (1)

To say the least, so far it had been an. . . interesting day. Many odd things were happening.

First, you woke up before your alarm. Now, this was only unusual because you were absolutely exhausted from the night before, and since this would happen a lot you would typically sleep through your alarm, making your mother have to get up and make sure that you were awake. But today, you woke up before it even rang. Half an hour before it rang.

Second, Peter, your boyfriend, didn't show up for school. He has had a perfect attendance all year, so you didn't understand why he wasn't there. He's so strict about it that one time he even went in with the flu. Today, he wasn't there. You texted him multiple times, but never got a response.

Third, your mentor, Tony Stark, had been acting weird. Every day after school you went to his tower so you could train for upcoming battles or just plain neighborhood stealing. You had a training room just for you, and all of the walls were fireproof. Fire could surge out of your hands, as powerful as you wanted it to, and you could create fireballs, which you still barely knew how to do.

Tony leaned against the wall, one leg crossing over another, and intently watched you. Today, Steve had volunteered to fight you. Your goal was to use both your abilities and just hand to hand combat to beat him. It was good practice because you always relied on your fire, but someone could dunk you in water and stop you.

Steve hurled his shield at you with all of his might, and you quickly spread your palms out and apart, creating a forcefield of fire that the shield bounced off of. To rebuttal, you formed a large fireball in your hand by moving your fingers, and shot it toward him. It got no more then two feet before disintegrating.

"Damn it!" You yelled just as Steve ran to you. He knocked you to the floor and socked you directly in the face.

"Stop!" Tony called, raising his hand up. You huffed in annoyance. Tony never let people go easy on you when you were using your abilities, but the second a fist connects to your body, Tony calls the whistle.

"Come on, Stark! I'll never learn if you keep on stopping him!" You yelled while sitting up, rubbing your aching jaw. Tony hesitated for a moment, and your eyebrows furrowed together in worry. He never hesitated, the man always had a sarcastic comeback or at least something to say.

"Kid, I've been thinking." He started, walking over to you. You stood up and eyed him curiously. "There's a kid I train here whose the same age as you. I was thinking that the two of you could go on a mission for me." Your eyes lit up. Tony never let you do anything with other people, meaning the Avengers, you were always stuck in Queens and doing your own thing.

"Really?" You asked hopefully, moving closer to him. He nodded. "But!" He said, and you slouched slightly. "First, you're gonna have to train with one another for a little while before the mission. And, you can't reveal your identities."

"What? Why?" You asked. You knew who everyone was on the Avenger team, and they all knew you. Why did it matter with him? It mattered to Tony because he knew the two of you were dating and didn't know the others abilities. He thought that it'd be best to keep it that way.

"It will keep you both safer." By the sternness in his voice, you knew that he was doing it for a very specific reason that he would not tell you. "Okay." "I'll go get him."

You stood by yourself for a minute as Tony left, and you tried to make another fireball, you twiddled your fingers, slowly moving them apart as the ball of blazing fire grew in your hands. Just as Tony walked in with the recruit, you forced it away from you, it soared across the room, hitting the wall.