Party

As Peter walked up the porch of Liz's house, he began to second guess himself. He turned around and pushed his friend Ned down the stairs, "This is stupid, let's go." But Ned stopped him and shoved him back up the stairs. "Nope, you can't back out."

"I hate you." The boy mumbled, and knocked on the door hesitantly. Liz whipped it open a second later with a soft smile, "Hey, guys! I thought you two would show up with Michelle and (Y/N)?"

The boys were stumped. The whole point of Peter coming here was for you, and he thought that you would be here by now. When Liz noticed that they didn't have a valid answer, she said, "Because they're already here, I just figured that you'd all come as one, my bad. Come in!"

Peter's heart sped up. You were there already? When he didn't move, Ned gave him a gentle push, then he muttered a sorry and pushed his way through the crowd of dancing people.

The music was practically vibrating the house, and Peter could barely hear. But his only concern in that moment was finding you.

He hated going to parties, partly because they were loud, and partly because he was never invited to one until now. And he wanted to make sure that you were safe. Because parties like these were risky, and anyone could do anything.

"Peter? Ned?" Peter turned to see your bright smile that lit up the room. He instantly became star struck when he laid eyes on you. You were wearing a short red dress with matching lipstick, and he couldn't tear his eyes away. You were absolutely beautiful.

"Hey, (Y/N)!" Ned said cheerfully, and you gave him a high five. You turned to Peter and your cheeks started to burn. You had a crush on him ever since the third grade when he gave you Oreos. You couldn't get him out of your mind ever since, and have been on talking terms for five years now, so not best friends, but also not really friends.

"Hey, Peter." You said softly, smiling at him. "Hey." He said back, clearly feeling awkward. You cleared your throat and said, "So, uh, what are you guys doing here?"

Obviously Peter did not want to say the real reason, but he didn't know what to make up this time. It was a well known thing that he never went to parties, so how was he going to lie his way out of this one?

By saying something incredibly stupid.

"I like Liz." Peter blurted, cheeks burning from your attention. But yet, they burned even more when you dropped your gaze to the floor. "Oh." You said softly, disappointment flooding your veins. I should've known. You thought. I should've known that someone like him couldn't like someone like me.

"Well, she's over by the punch bowl." You said, then scurried off with your head down so the boy who had broken your heart couldn't see your tears. Peter watched you walk away, and confusion overtook him.

"Why did she look so sad?" He quipped, not being able to break his stare away. Ned stood in front of him so he would. "Because she likes you man, I've been telling you that for a year. And why was that the first lie that you could come up with?"

Peter turned and stared at his friend. "Q-Quit tempting me! She does not like me!" "Yeah she does!" Ned insisted. Peter rolled his eyes and walked in another direction, but Ned followed. "Come on, man, think about it. When there is a group project, she always wants to be with you! She always wants to hang out with you, but you constantly turn her down! You're the one who ruined it for yourself because you let her down so many times, including now." Ned sighed and shook his head, his hat bouncing. "I-I'm just gonna go, man."

Peter looked back at his friend to see that he was being completely serious. "Dude—" "Don't try, I can't watch you hurt her." With that, the boy turned around and walked out the front door, slamming it closed behind him.