Rewrite The Stars (3)

Brown. Hickory. Coffee. Mocha. Carob. Brunette. Chocolate. Cinnamon. Penny. Umber. Gingerbread. Syrup. Walnut. Caramel.

All of these words perfectly describe Peter Parker's eyes the second that Lee saw them. They were like the fresh earth after rain, or the water in a stream running over driftwood and stones. When they hit the sunlight, they're like the gold people desperately try to pull from the ground. They melt into golden rays, circling an eclipse. But in the dark, they become the rocks the ships shatter against in a storm. They turn onyx, a precious gemstone. And yes, these are twitter quotes.

There's only one word that can wrap all of this up simply. Magnificent.

When he said that his eyes were brown on the boat, she kept on thinking of the various types. Were they light, dark, medium, hazel? There's an endless amount of shades within brown eyes, but when they met eyes, she finally knew.

And those eyes were haunting her dreams as she was unconscious, swarming within the ocean of her mind, and she was lost in that ocean, drowning in it. His eyes were like a ring buoy, wrapping around her and saving her from the harsh currents.

But at the same time, it kept her in place. As the waves with foam tips formed and dove at her, she couldn't swim away with it around her, she was stuck. It was saving her, but torturing her. And if she let go, she would drown, no doubt. But how much longer could she endure the pain?

Lee's eyes slowly fluttered open, immediately blinded by the harsh artificial light. She grunted and opened them again, seeing a white, tiled ceiling above her. In the background she heard some beeping of monitors, and turned her head with squinted eyes to see a machine next to her, reading her oxygen intake and heart beat.

Her advanced healing wasn't nearly as well as Peter's, so this wound was gonna stick around for probably a week at most. A long groan escaped her lips as the pain suddenly kicked in, and her arm ached, a feeling she's never experienced. While being a superhero, there's a first for the impossibility of everything.

With a wince she forced herself to sit up, ebony locks covering her face. She tucked the strands behind her ears as she tilted her head and looked down at her arm to examine it. There was white gauze wrapped securely over it, and in the center there were some splashes of crimson. She turned her arm at all angles to see what she was dealing with, and sighed after.

Whenever she moved it even a little, pain would flood her like a tsunami, making her squeeze her eyes shut momentarily. But the temptation to check out her surroundings and see where she was unfortunately was greater than the pain.

Lee pushed herself to the side of the bed and stayed there for a moment, breathing in slowly. She had no idea how long she'd been knocked out for, and was scared to test how strong her legs were.

Okay, on the count of three. One. . . two . . two and a half. . . two and a quarter. . . Did I just say that backwards?

"Lee? You're awake?"

She flitted her head up to see Peter Parker standing in the doorway in every day clothes, hair disheveled. He was staring at her intensely, almost looking as if he were examining her. But the boy she knew would never do that. . . right?

"Where am I?" She asked, voice hoarse, a cough following soon after. He quickly scurried over and grabbed a glass of water from a nightstand she didn't notice and hand it to her, she took it and downed the water greedily.

"Oh, how the tables have turned." Peter said after a moment of the air just being filled with her loud gulping, and the comment made her tip the cup back, sending him a confused look.